+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to fast sink

Default How to fast sink

Here's the problem. I will be returning to Belize and those monster permit. The fish are just off the end of a reef and in deeper water. I need to get the fly down quickly. Most of the fly lines I have now are floating or intermediate sinking. I'm using a 9 weight rod.

What is the best solution. Full sinking line?

Thank for the help

Larry

You might look into the Teeny T-Series lines. Up to 550 grains spread over 30 feet, I think. They're generally weighted about 17 grains/foot, so the longer the tip the more weight. Not a graceful thing to cast, tho. Or:

Save yourself some bucks and try a length of Cortland's LC-13 lead core line.
    See [url=http://www.fish307.com/fish/CortlandRunningLines.htm#lc13:c6bac]http://www.fish307.com/fish/CortlandRunningLines.htm#lc13[/url:c6bac]

Use it as a leader with a short tippet of nylon or F/C (very little diference in density). It's thin and gets down fast. Tensile strength is about 30 pounds, I'm remembering, which is similar to fly lines. They use it for a sinking leader in Canada for salmon. Cortland also makes an LC-14 with tungsten, but it's not much denser and costs way more.
    Quick and easy way to make your own sink tip.

------------------
    Idlerick

I prefer interchangeable shooting head systems for your type of situation. I can vary the head density and shooting line for different types of applications. For tropical saltwater applications I have used a Scientific Anglers Saltwater Intermediate or floating shooting line paired with a shooting head made from Corland's LC-13 leadcore line (nominal 13 grains per foot), which can be purchased by the foot from many Cortland Pro Shops. About 30 feet is right for a 10 wt rod, 27-28 for a 9wt rod. You can also make a head from Rio's T-14 which is uses tungston to add density to the line. It too is available by the foot. Both the LC-13 and T-14 have standard flyline coatings (for you light rod aficionados Rio now makes a T-.

If you prefer a simple solution in place of versatility get one of the longer sink tip lines like J.C. mentioned. Teeny, Scientific Anglers, Cortland, Rio, Airflo, and Orvis all have similar lines. Rio, Teeny, and S.A. have the greatest variety. These lines typically have a 24-38 foot sinking portion married to a floating or intermediate shooting line. You will find that the longer lines cast farther easier than the 24 ft. lines with 27' - 30' heads being most comfortable for most anglers.

You might want to make sure your flies are weighted. It will help bring the fly down faster.

jed

Thanks everyone

As soon as the local shop opens up this morning I'll be on my way.

Larry

+ Reply to Thread