+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reel lubrication and salt.

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

Different manufacturers have their favorites and not all are the same. Neats Foot Oil is one that crops up at times for cork or get with your reel maker and ask. As for the reel itself, Boeshield with a Q-tip and a drop of fine oil on moving parts.

Rinse after each use fresh or salt, clean the line and dry. Do not dunk the reel untill you check with your reels maker as there are a few that discourage this.

My system is to rinse the reel and rod under warm running water after first stripping the line and any backing used into a basin filled with warm soapy water. Then pull the plug and rinse the line and backing under the running water as you reel it back on. Pull the reel apart, rinse spool and frame again and set it aside to dry while pulled apart.

------------------
    Good Fishing
    Chuck Scheerschmidt
    "I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

Back when I used to fish a medalist reel in the salt, I used wheel bearing grease on the spindle, 3 in 1 oil on the rest.
    I'd clean and oil the reel after each use.
    Never a problem unless I forgot.
    When you fish a medalist in salt water you learn real quick how to take care of your gear.
    Now I carry a little tube of Penn reel lube, but when I clean the reels at home I still use the grease(light coat)and 3'n 1 oil.

------------------
    "Nick's heart tightened as the trout moved. He felt all the old feeling" ...Ernest Hemingway
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I would suggest starting over with a really clean reel.
    IMO there is nothing better to remove oil , grease ,etc than Brake Cleaner....I prefer it to carburetor cleaner...easy to use and gets things squeaky clean....I'd remove the line and backing.

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to try everything mentioned and see what works best. I haven't hit the salt in a couple of weeks so I haven't had a chance to try everything out.
    Your hooks sharp????

brake cleaner? do you have a brand name? can i get that at napa? that really is a great tip!!!

micro, shame on you. get out fishing, dude!

D. Micus,
    I don't worry about the brand....you can probably get it at Napa and in any of the auto sections of stores like...Target, Wal-mart etc....Costco has had it at times 3 cans at a time...the carburetor cleaner tends to leave a little oily residue which I suppose can be beneficial at times but I prefer to start really clean...great gun cleaner too.

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

Dudley---got my start in the Salt cleaning my Medalist after each outing. It taught me a good lesson.

------------------
    Good Fishing
    Chuck Scheerschmidt
    "I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

Make sure you don't have plastic or rubber parts in your reel when useing brake or carb cleaner. The cleaner will eat it away. or make it swell. Don;t know much bout salt water reels, but do know something about auto cleaners. WD40 will eat rubber as well. Just adding my warm water 2 cents...

------------------
    Spelling and Grammar not subject to judgement...

[This message has been edited by Grubb (edited 13 September 2005).]
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Micus,

I know I need to get out but this semester I have to get my graduate thesis finished so I can get paid real money. Graduate budget sucks and living at home at 24 is starting to get old fast but I love my truck too much to sell it to live alone

Next week I will get out sometime and hopefully the water has started to cool to get the fall bite going. Last two times I went out really sucked, no bikini's and no fish.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

things are picking up my way, micro--some big fish around. i got a 32 on sunday.

i have to say i'm disappointed with epo. the title of this thread is ripe for an innuendo, and he didn't take the bait...

+ Reply to Thread