+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK Guys...whats..

1. Default OK Guys...whats..

...your most memorable SW fly-caught fish??

Mine has to be an Atlantic Salmon, caught when i was 12, on a sandeel imitation, from my local beach. The fish was only 3 pounds, but put saline 'n' rum in my veins for the rest of my life.

My most memorable SW fly-lost fish has to be a tarpon(my first!!), in Cuba, last February.... my guide estimated its weight as "Approximately twenty pounds heavier than me!!!!"..(150-170??), took two hundred yards of backing on its' way back to FLA, before jumping 3 times and throwing the popper 20 feet into the air. Still feel that rush now!

So, come on guys, spill the beans!!

Andy

------------------
    "My fishing is no longer an obsession, an addiction, or a mania; it's much more than that!
    " - Dave Micus

Hey Andy,

Took my 6 wt offshore on a trip to the
    gulf stream just for giggles. We saw a
    wooden pallet floating in the dead calm
    waters and I threw a popper out. Schoolie
    dolphin hit that spent more time in the air
    than in the water. One after the other.
    The guys had been teasing me about bringing
    the fly rod, but after I boated the first,
    there was nearly a fight to see who would
    go next.*G* Much fun! Warm regards, Jim

3. Default

LOL... know what ya mean, JC... had a 24 pounder off Margarita in Feb 2004, on VERY light spinning gear(6# mainline).. spent more time looking at me at eye-level than he did in his own habitat. Mean indeed!

Jim, have yet to hook into a mahi... love to take one on a 6-7 weight, especially on a popper! :0)

------------------
    "My fishing is no longer an obsession, an addiction, or a mania; it's much more than that!
    " - Dave Micus

mine is a 48" Snook, about 35 lbs. Caught on a fly I tied!
    Bill

snook
    pine island FLA

Would have been the mother of all stripers this weekend but I failed to properly set the hook. Had the fish on for a few minutes and then nothing. PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET THE HOOK. Lessons re-learned.

a 135 tarpon in August a few years back on 20 lb. tippet. Dern thing 'bout killed me, couldn't walk for 3 days. It musta been 98 degrees that day and it hit around noon.
    My favorite though is the mighty bull redfish!

big blues off the south jersey coast when i was just a teen. we'd hit schools of fish all in the high teens and low twenties (lbs) and they would fight like they weighted 100 lbs each.

where you been, andy?

8. Default

Some great fish so far, i'm impressed,(and just a little envious!! LOL)

Dave,
    I have been working my a$$ off, eighty hours a week + on the Pig Farm... tying 300 flies a week too, so I haven't had a great deal of time for much else. Things should slow down a little in a few weeks time and, hopefully, will return to normal.
    I hope all the pirates fine, you all waving the long rod?? Take care, and take plenty rum!! Catch up with y'all soon!

Andy

------------------
    " - Dave Micus

November ?04 float tubing for Baltic pike in Sweden.

The surroundings are stunning, manoeuvring between the rocks to convince one of these savage beauties to ambush my fly. The pike was only about 5lbs, but it was a stunning pike. A lemon belly with a distinguished speckled back; the most fantastically coloured pike I had seen up to that point.

Have a feeling though that this might be eclipsed by my first foray into BC in a few weeks time, where float tubing for the salmon in the brine is on the cards.

------------------
    JME
    @===----?----?----?
    Member of B.A.S.S [url=http://www.ukbass.com:e43c9]http://www.ukbass.com[/url:e43c9]

Most memorable...a 2 pound Bonefish, not just any Bonefish, but the first one I ever caught on a fly.

After that, I was hooked on not only Bonefish, but Tarpon, and Permit...but that first Bonefish will always be special. In an instant with that first spectacular run, you understand why people seek out the flats fish. It has hooked me for life.

+ Reply to Thread