+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pirate Qualifications

Default Pirate Qualifications

I just returned from vacation in Bethany Beach, DE.

I was only able to fish the salt 1 time ... and the only thing that I hooked up with was a sea gull that I foul-hooked with my back cast. Definitely catch and release, but nonetheless, he didn't seem very happy. Oh, and I consumed lots of alcohol while I was there ... although it was not rum.

So, do I qualify as a pirate? Do I hear an ARRRRRG! Just a little, may be just an arrg!

I will be giving the salt another shot at the end of September when I will go Striper fishing with my fly fishing club.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave Fulton (edited 25 August 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Dave Fulton (edited 25 August 2005).]

Well Dave, I give you "aaarrr". Not quite an aaarrrggghhh!
    Here's the problem...
    1). It has to be rum, nothing expensive, cheap stuff will get you in the door.
    2). The seagull was a nice mention, however, there is a recipe for that gull. It goes as follows.
    a). Clean seagull as any good pirate would do, like feather and gut the bird.
    b). Find an old rubber boot (very well used).
    c). Make a very nice cornbread dressing (southern pirate thing).
    d). stuff the boot with dressing and gull.
    e). Bake in oven until the boot is fork tender.
    f). Dump out the gull and dressing and eat the boot.
    3). you get an honorable mention for fishin' the salt, even though it was only once.
    4). Repeat after us..."AAARRRGGGHHH!!!"

but your name is dave, so I give you the
    AAARRRGGGHHH!!! and hooking the seagull was a nice touch!

Anybody with the name of Dave gets my vote as well. *G*

So a hardy Aaarrrggghhh! and welcome aboard.

" If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Ah, but James, out gulls "pump out" all the time in the dive-bomb mode. A little less flavorful, but with the right seasonings, the boot is excellent table far wit me rum.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!

Dave, the pirate counsel has met (flatsdude, evil dave, and me)and we have hereby accepted you as a pirate, no matter what those fishers of that pacific pond say...

DAve;

Since the powers that be have said we should welcome you then here goes.

Welcome Pirate, enjoy and prepare to pay.

Section 3 paragraph 4 states the new pirates must furnish the rum and food for the crew until a new pirate is selected. So for the next year or so you be the rum and food supplier. Now I do not drink but I do eat. So lets get with it pirate. Food and drink.

Arrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh

Harold

Becoming a pirate is sort of like your apprenticeship to the dirty old mens' club, once you've tried it & like it and want to do more of it; you're on your way. Ahoy Matey !

AAARRRGGGHHH!

If only I'd have known ... the next gull won't be so lucky! I like cornbread stuffing, and rum. Perhaps a rum marinade?

I was fishing with a local fly fisher who was kind enough to show me a local spot and give me some tips. He even showed me how to release a gull with increased chances of survival ... a must with catch 'n release.

We were fishing from a jetty at sunset when I saw (what I believe) was a Striper cruising between the rocks in a few feet of water. I cast in front of him and started stripping. I had a bird's ... gull's eye view, and could see my fly and the fish moving towards each other. Then, true to Mr. Murphy, the fish turned to his right to go around a rock, when he clearly should have gone to his left. I don't think the fish even saw my fly, and I gave him a Homer Simpson salute as he headed back into the deeper water of the channel.

I also saw a guy in float tube, with running lights out in the middle of the channel. Yes, a float tube, with running lights. I thought that the guy must be nuts because it was an outgoing tide, and the water was moving pretty fast through the inlet, with nothing but open sea beyond the jetty.

My next shot at the salt comes at the end of September, so I have a month to drink rum, and work on my double haul (which blows)and my AAARRRGGGHHH!.

Tight lines.

Dave Fulton
    Apprentice Pirate

[This message has been edited by Dave Fulton (edited 26 August 2005).]

we need a 'dave' nickname for you...there's saltydancindave, evil dave, and super dave (me)...what's left....

+ Reply to Thread