+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Titanium Wire Leader/Tippet

Default Titanium Wire Leader/Tippet

Hey JC,
    As you suggested I purchased the titanium wire leader stuff to make the tippets for my saltwater flies. I received the items yesterdy and think I need further clarification on setting up my new salt gear.
    The package on the titanium wire says that only the clinch knot (as demonstrated on the pkg) could be used for rigging (shows to a double swivel)and I am assuming that in the case of ly fishing that means the fly. The second knot which is shown is for attaching the wire to monofilament(does not say fluorocarbon) is the Albright knot. Neither knot tied with the wire snugs down very well.
    My question is: I have a saltwater tapered leader currently attached(by the fly shop) loop to loop on my line so would it be necessary to use another piece of shock leader from the end of the existing leader to loop to loop the wire tippet with the fly? Seems to me that there would be an awful lot of hinging when trying to cast.

One of the benefits of titanium wire is that it doesn?t kink as easily as braided or single strand steel. That also means your not going to snug that stuff down very tight due to the snap. The clinch should be snug down up to the point it doesn?t interfere with the travel of the fly. The albright can be tighter as you are really snugging the mono (or fluoro, no diff) on a single bend of wire. Pliers and gloves are a big plus when working with stiff saltwater mono or wire.

No need for more loops, just albright to the business end of your leader.

Not sure which Ti leader you are using (I use Terminator brand) but a three wrap clinch is what you use to tie the fly to the wire. DO NOT over tighten the knot. IF you pull too hard on the tag end trying to cinch the knot the wire will snap. A loose three wrap clinch with a 1/8" tag looks nasty as far as knots go but I have never had one fail in 10+ years of extensive use. As far as attaching the wire to the leader, use an Albright. A well tied albright will cinch down well and is bombproof.

------------------
    Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish
    If it has fins and swims than I must chase it!

+ Reply to Thread