+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red tide

Default Red tide

I am heading to the Gulf coast area the first full week of August. Will the red tide still be in effect?

I have only cursory knowledge of the red tide and no clue how long it lasts or is effect or continues.

I was wondering f i need to consider other fishing options for my trip or not.

Thanks

We're into about the 4th week of red tide in northern new england. it hasn't affected the fishing, just the shell fishing, so you can fish, but i wouldn't eat what i catch if i were you (just to play it safe...)

There is no telling how long it will last. Hopefully this hurricane will come close enough to bust up the red tide, but not close enough to give us damage. Unfortunately it looks as though the panhandle will get hit again.
    Bill

Try the Florida Fish & Wildlife Research Institute website as they have a weekly red tide map with the severity. First hand, no red tide at Gaspirilla Pass Monday, but a few lingering dead fish at Stump Pass Beach Park Tuesday. None from Northern Charlotte Harbor to Burnt Store Marina or over at the tip of Cape Haze today.

Shmang

Here is a link [url=http://www.floridamarine.org/:e43da]http://www.floridamarine.org/[/url:e43da]
    You should be able to keep up to date with this.

Sorry but we really do not know how long it will last. Like Purebs said, maybe the storm will wash it away.

Where will you be coming?
    August is a real hot month, I would plan on fishing at night if I were you.

Also Mote Marine has a lot of information on the red tide if you are interested.

If you get as far south as Bradenton take a tour of Mote Marine [url=http://www.mote.org/:e43da]http://www.mote.org/[/url:e43da] I love it there. They do take your fly rod away from you at the door.... <evil smile>

Harold

[This message has been edited by Harold Hattaway (edited 08 July 2005).]

I am flying in Sat Auguest 6th to Tampa. I am staying for a week at a condo in Indian Rocks Beach.

This is a family vacation so I wont get a ton of fishing time during the day but night thru early morning and then at sunset will be available to me.

My hope is to catch something--Pinfish, Snook, it really doesnt matter-- to make the trip a bit more memorable.

I have been tying synthetic hair minnow patterns, shrimp flies, and even a few poppers to put the odds in my favor. I at least want to give it a shot.

Thanks for all the info on the red tide. I know it is an unknown commodity and forecasting its magnitude weeks away is a crap shoot.

While I am hoping the storm does minimal damage to life and property I am wishing that the red tide is blasted away.

Take care

From reading all available online sources it looks as if the Red Time has really diminished. The St Pete Times article said things have really improved--just in time for my trip next week! Hoorah

This was taken off the mote marine website:

Red Tide

Mote Marine Laboratory's Center for Ecotoxicology studies Karenia brevis, the organism that causes red tides.

Conditions as of July 29, 2005:

The red tide affecting the Florida Gulf coast remains along Sarasota County north, including Pinellas County. Concentrations in Sarasota Bay were patchy, fluctuating between low and high concentrations through out this week. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission also reports patchy distribution with low to high concentrations along Manatee and Pinellas county beaches and in Tampa Bay. The good news is that the bloom has diminished in southern Sarasota County with none reported from Venice south to Charlotte and Lee Counties.

Respiratory irritation and dead fish continue to be reported through out the area, depending on local bloom conditions and the direction and intensity of the wind. Light winds and winds blowing off-shore should minimize adverse effects, while strong on-shore winds will bring adverse impacts on shore. It is important to note that, as atmospheric and oceanic conditions change, algal bloom conditions change as well, making forecasting very difficult.

For status of the bloom, and closed shellfish areas, please see [url=http://www.floridamarine.org:63c39]www.floridamarine.org[/url:63c39] or call Mote?s information phone system at 941-388-4441 and press #6 for local red tide information.

If you need immediate assistance, please call the Marine and Freshwater Toxin hotline at 1-888-232-8635. It is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

From the looks of that report you will still be seeing the effects of the tide.
    I was out a few days ago and saw fresh kills.

Hey Stev; you been in Tampa Bay or around it?

Hey Purebs or Dunfly, how is the red tide in your area?

Shmang I will go out to the bay this weekend and post back a report, but I am in the Sarasota Bay, which is south of Tampa Bay, maybe I will drive up that way and take a look... Good Luck

Harold

Haven't been out lately, Harold.

Water temps are pretty high and that means I am not likely to catch anything wading.

I'm hoping the Red tide breaks up. I get random doses of it when the wind is from the west. I really do need to get out and fish.

------------------
    aka Cap'n Yid.

Stev Lenon, 91B20'68-'69
    When the dawn came up like thunder

Red Tide...since we're on this subject anyway....WHAT IN THE BILLY BLUE BLAZES IS IT...?.........

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 06 August 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread