+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First Saltwater Fish!

Default First Saltwater Fish!

Hey Mateys!
    I just caught my first saltwater fish on a fly! What a feeling! It was grrrreaaat! I was fishing with Capt. Sarah Gardner on the "Fly Girl" out of Oregon Inlet, NC and she put me on some bluefish that were chasing mullet in the sound. It took her awhile as she had to teach me how to cast a sinking tip line and back cast. I finally got the hang of it and caught the blue. WOW I still feel on top of the world and this was only a 16" blue. I can only imagine the rush the rest of you get when you hook a big 'un. Can't wait to try again!
    Rev. Mike
    aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh and God be wit ye!

ah, Rev, now you got the brine in your veins and the sand in your shoes. YOu'll never be the same...

3. Default

Rev,......all u need now is the Morgans runnin' through yer veins...
    Congrats n lookin' fo'rard to seein' the look on yer face @ some time in the future, when u hook up with something from'another planet'!!!!
    AAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

Andy

Good for you Rev. Now we'll start hearing about your trips to the Jersey Shore. Good Striper and Blues fishing there.

jed

Hey Rev, I just got back from OBX and saw your post. I fished with Capt. Sarah on Thursday 7/14. Was a real frustating day. The fish didnot not want to coperate. I caught a few small speckled trout and had a few LDR. Then they just shut down. Went for them blues in the sound but there was a ton of grass in the water. Still was a good time. I am just getting started fly fishing the salt just like you. Sarah had to help my casting. Sure different the fresh water. Did you fish on your own??? I did and caught a couple of croakers. But that was it!!! All well, just keep plugging.

------------------
    Bill

Hey Bill,
    Did some conventional tackle fishing from the piers. Only got a trigger fish. Tried FFing in the surf and only got wet! Best time was with Sarah! I'm sure she helped you with the casting as she did me. That was the best part of the day. Now I just need to keep practicing my back casting so I don't forget it.
    Hey Mateys is it normal that two weeks later I still miss the Sea? And thanks guys but I'll leave the Capt. Morgans to Capn Flats Dude.
    Rev. Mike
    aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh and God be wit ye!

Hey Rev. Yes Capt Sarah did help me with my casting. I don't Know but I miss the sea too only after two weeks!! Maybe D. Micus is right!!! I don't think were the same!!!!

Good fishing!!

------------------
    Bill

Hate to break it to you Rev, but you ain't never gonna get the salt outta yer veins now. It's been 8 months since I got my snook (eat well my little friend, I'm gonna come back fer ya) and I still dream of a return trip.

Rev,
    GREAT!...We couldn't get to the Outerbanks this year, but we'll be back next year....It's our vacation spot of choice..I tried FF the salt last year..only 2 problems..1) the worst da## weeds in the surf I have EVER seen, & 2) forgot my stripping basket & was falling about 15' short of the hole I needed to hit. I know some will say I should have bought a stripping basket there, but after the Orvis shop went belly up, fly gear is scarce down there. I WILL admit that I should have made one.
    Again...Way to go Rev!!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread