+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: epoxy drying gadget

Micus,
    Can you let the fly dangle off your nose? It would dry from all the hot air in no time LOL

jed

Dave

My son and I built this in about 10 minutes and it cost less than 30.00 Now we were able to buy the stuff on sale, but if you shop around it is easy to find. The styrofoam disk are 8" in diameter and this thing works great.
    The disk clear 2 fly lines stacked on top of each other.
    Everything you need was in our Universal Rotisserie Kit except for the disk and we got them at the craft store.

Harold

Before anyone gets the wrong idea those flies were not tied by me, the mullet fly was tied by Flats Dude and the gold fly was tied by Ed.

[This message has been edited by Harold Hattaway (edited 20 July 2005).]

fly fisher joe--that is exactly who i bought the motor from...but i wish i would have thought of that tire idea....

or.... .... you could perhaps invest the same amount of money or less and buy some UV protective goggles, a UV Cure Lamp and some Loon UV Knot Sense. No mixing or fusing really. I know a pro-tyer who marches his batches of surf flies out into the sun for cure.

The UV heads are cured instantly in an ultra controllable manner-never a run or drip or excessive wicking into wings and hackles.

Also-the Poly materials in UV Knot Sense are water/gin clear and don't yellow. Also-there are no bubbles in the heads. Just really nice stuff to work with.

One drawback is that the heads made using of UV Knot Sense are not as bullet proof as Epoxy-as the UV poly is slightly softer by nature. It is still very rigid. I overcoat it with clear finger nail polish. If you happen to backcast into boulders alot-you may see a difference in toughness eventually. Not a big issue for the fish.

Just a suggestion to consider a somewhat newish and non-traditional method to do the same job better.

Rich

[This message has been edited by flymaker2 (edited 21 July 2005).]

I simply hook the fly onto the eraser on one of those troll head pencils. Then I spin it between my palms. I dry my flies and relieve stress all at the same time. For some flies I can even use the hair from the pencil.

+ Reply to Thread