+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Surf fishing lines

Default Surf fishing lines

Hello,

I have a basic question about fishing the surf. I will be in New Smyrna Florida visiting relatives and I hope to do some fishing while I am there. I know for sure I will try and fish the lagoon, but I want to give fishing the surf a try. What kind of fly line is needed for that? I have heard that floating lines just get kicked around by the surf. Do I need a sink-tip or full sinking? Or some other type of line. Thanks for all of the help.

Mike

Hi MIke,

I fish the surf quite a lot and my preference is for a subsurface line. I know some guys get on okay with a sink tip.

A fast intermediate if I want to stay near the surface and different density sinkers as the situation dictates.

Hope this helps,

------------------
    JME
    @===----?----?----?
    Member of B.A.S.S [url=http://www.ukbass.com:62c11]http://www.ukbass.com[/url:62c11]

mfielder...when will you be in Florida. I'm 40 minutes S/W of Smyrna, and the Indian River and the Mosquito Lagoon are my waters...I don't even mess with the surf, too many reds and trout to pester on the flats.
    I fish WFF lines on the flats, seven thru nine weights (I usually cast my 9 wt.). Let me know and maybe we can get together and fish the flats.

I use an intermediate line for the surf.It casts better in the wind and stays just under the waves.You will need a stripping basket for the surf.Get down to Merritt Island and do some wet wading on the flats while you are there.And go to Titusville and visit The Fly Fisherman fly shop.Worth the drive.

I heard that shop is really cool and that there is another one on the way to Orlando.

Kept meaning to pop into it when I was there, but had repeated doh! moments when I missed the turn. Never made it in the end.

Always next year ;o)

------------------
    JME
    @===----?----?----?
    Member of B.A.S.S [url=http://www.ukbass.com:f6745]http://www.ukbass.com[/url:f6745]

Thanks for all of the good advice. Skip I have always wanted to try Merrit Island, and knowing that its wadeable is a good bonus. I may pick up an intermediate line just to try it. Flats Dude, I am honored by your invitation. I have been a long time fan of your writing. I really would like to try the lagoon, and see what I can do. I will be in New Smyrna next week, and I am looking forward to not only seeing my family, but doing some fishing. Thanks again everyone.

Mike

Mike, check your email for my numbers. Bring a WFF line and some wading booties! I'll need to tie some golden bendbacks before you get here. And thanks for the compliment!

[This message has been edited by Flats Dude (edited 20 July 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread