+ Reply to Thread

Thread: St. Pete's FLA help (please)

Default St. Pete's FLA help (please)

hello:

i've posted these questions on other boards hoping for a varied input, and i'm hoping to add to the information already given, by members here.

I'll be travelling to St. Pete's FLA the last week of August and hope to slide in a few mornings of Surf fishing while there. i'll be packing along a #9Wt and an Islander FR with both Floating and Int. Sink Lines.

I've been pointed in the direction of Honeymoon Island under the causeway as a potential spot, but was wondering wwhat other areas within a short drive of the St. Pete's/Clearwater area would be possibilities?

Any other suggestions on flies and leader/tippet range would be greatly appreciated.

tia SR

SR

Last year we held the Florida Fish-in and fished Honeymoon Island.
    It is a beautiful place. If you like to walk you can follow a wonderful trail to the end of the Island and during the walk you might see owls, osprey, and assorted other wildlife. It is a beautiful walk. There are benches all along the walk, I had to use them since I was still recovering from surgery. But I would recommend the walk and the fishing at the end of the trail. Purebs fishes the spot as much as he can and I am sure he will let you know more about the spot. There is a great area there for picnics and the island has places you can get out of your car and walk less that 100 yards to start fishing.

As for other places I will bow to the expertise of Purebs and the fellows that live closer than I do. I am about 50 miles south. But we have an outbreak of Redtide in our area so stay in the area you have listed. Flies.... Clousers, bendbacks, decievers, and mullet flies.
    Keep the floating line, you will be fishing shallow.
    I use a furled leader made by our own Robin Rhyne. They turn a fly over like magic. I use a tippet (we call a bite tippet) of at least 20lb line about 2 feet long.

Practice working the wind. Long cast are needed, I would say over 60 feet depending on the clarity of the water. If you do not use it learn to set the hook by pulling your line straight back and not lifting your rod. Some of or fish go from sitting still to mach 1 in about .3 seconds. If you hook into a big fish and your rod it up you will tend to miss them.

Go over to the left side of the page, click on Fish-ins, and look for the Florida 2005 Fish in. It will show you pictures of where you are going to be and a lot of other information. If you do not even catch a fish you will find one of God's masterpieces, that island is a beauty.

Good luck and feel free to use my e-mail.

Harold

The red tide counts have dropped a great deal along the beaches, though it is anybody's guess how it will be in august. My a/c went out this weekend so I spent all my time trying to get it fixed instead of fishing. Some of my friends caught Snook, Redfish, and Jacks at Honeymoon Island this weekend. Snook are spawning in the passes right now and will also be showing up along the beaches. Personally I like an intermediate line, I seem to catch more fish with it, but that might be just me. Fell free shoot me an e-mail when you get here and I may be able to hook up with you and show you a few spots.
    Bill

Harold & purebs:

thank you Gents for the responses and information. I had figured on taking both Floating & Intermediate Lines to cover off my depths, as well as a range of Clouser's, Mullet patterns & Deceiver's.

i may contact you gents further via e-mail (as suggested) a lil closer towards my trip date for final questions.

cheers

+ Reply to Thread