+ Reply to Thread

Thread: warmwater hiatus

Default warmwater hiatus

I've just learned I will be in the Dominican Republic for about a week in October, three days of which will be in meetings. So salts, I'm assuming there are bones and other salty species lurking around just waiting to be caught. Please, educate me. What? Where? How? Remember, I'm a warmwater junkie and know little about fishing salt. I've caught red snapper and rays on bait while fishing with a friend. Also some speckled trout in LA. That's about the extent of it . Thanks. JGW

white43

I would also suggest starting to cast and work with the rod you will be using, if you are going there and using an unfamilar rod your arms are going to hurt. Going from my 9 and 10 wts down to a 5 wt is not a big deal, but when going upwards it will tire you out soon. Just practice and like JC said, all the way to the backing. Try this, take a one gallon milk jug, fill it half full of water and tie it to your fly line, then let it drift behind a boat until you are down to the last part of your backing. Then reel it in, if you have not fished the salt much you will see how hard it is to keep your line from bunching. Now add the excitement of catching a big fish and you will be better prepared for catching a 6 foot cuda. You never know what will wind up on the end of that fly rod. Shark, cuda, bone, ect. I truly hope you are not using the guide's equipment.
    Please let us know how you do. I would think a trip to Florida to catch a tarpon would be just the practice you need.

Good Luck

Harold

Where's anglerdave?? Didn't he spend a couple weeks down in the DR a year or so ago? Is there anything he could add? Local color?

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread