+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flourocarbon...

1. Default Flourocarbon...

I recently just used flourocarbon tippets to great sucess. Now I am wondering...Can you use flourocarbon tippets when fishing dries? Somewhere I heard that it sinks?

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

Sure can! If you grease the last foot or two it will really ride high. I often switch from nymph to dry with flouro and never had a problem. Good luck.

Hate to morph the thread, but I have heard that you should not use Fluorocarbon tippet with a standard leader as it will cut through the mono. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

4. Default

Great question...I would like to know this too!

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

'been using SA mono tapered leaders with loop to loop flourocarbon tippet for panfish and bass; caught many 3-5lb bass and only lost a few to knot failure at the fly, which is, my fault....never at the mono-floro connection.

I don't think it's a problem of cutting the mono, more of a prob with different properties of the two. ie knots slipping.

------------------
    Work is a means for people to afford their fishing.

First, I go from nimphing to dry fly fishing by just adding floatant to the leader/tippet.
    Second, Cut through the mono??? Where did you hear that one?? I've been using flourocarbon tippet on mono leaders for years. I have even used it to catch marlin in Baja and have never had flourocarbon cut mono. With the right knot you will never have a problem.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Snot instead of spit on your knots??? No wonder us newbies are always having our knots come undone. With this cold that's been hanging on this year, and the begining of allergy season I should'd have any problems now. I'm sure glad I have this forum to find the facts and tips of the sport. Thanks JC for the tip!

I don't use or teach using saliva(Yes JC or snot, funny tho) on knots, I teach and use water(your standing in it anyway). The cold water will stop friction from curling and weakening your tippet.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Thanks guys - I thought it sounded fishy, but it came from what I thought was a good source. I had been using it that way and continue to do so (mainly cause I'm cheap and spent a bundle on 2 spools of 5x and 6x Fluorocarbon).

Ray - I can't believe I've been wetting my knots by putting them in my mouth (against my better judgement) while standing waist deep in water. Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees.

+ Reply to Thread