+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Airflo Forty Plus line

Default Airflo Forty Plus line

I am thinking about purchasing this line and I am not familiar with the brand. Has anyone used it? If so is it worth the money? I'm looking for a high quality 5 weight WF-F line.

At the price of premium fly lines today, I sure wouldn't buy one sight unseen or based on anyone's recommendation. You need to know if it fits your casting style and the conditions under which you will use it. Most full-service fly shops will let you try out a line, or go to a fly fishing show.

I have used it and didn't like it much.Airflo lines don't seem to live up to expectations in South Africa I guess it has something to do with climatic conditions.I would try it first if I were you.I have a buddy in England who swears by it so you never know.

I'll be using it in rivers and streams. I mainly posed the question because I have never heard anything about the line. At the local flyshop the salesman suggested it and swore by it. I'm picking between this Cortland 444 or Orvis Wonderline.

I just bought some a while ago, it cast a loooong ways with less effort, but I find the memory in it quite bad. Can't seem to get rid of the memory yet (2 trips out with it). If your not making 50+ foot casts every now and then to reach a mid river seam or trough, I'd go with something else.

Brian

------------------
    [url=http://bowcrow.tripod.com:535e9]Bowcrow Fishing Adventures[/url:535e9]

The manufacturers description and specifications make it sound similar to a shooting head system (short heavy front head and a really skinny running line).
    [url=http://www.flylines.com/Flylines_AirfloSpecifications.cfm:069c2]http://www.flylines.com/Flylines_AirfloSpecifications.cfm[/url:069c2]

It should be great for casting distance (50' out to as far as you can fling it) provided you know how to cast a shooting head, but its definitely not a general purpose fly line. An SA GPX or the Corland 444 would probably be a better choice. Cheers.

[This message has been edited by crcaddis (edited 10 February 2005).]

Thanks all, that was some good info. I think I'll go with the 444.

+ Reply to Thread