I just got back from my first salt water trip for stripers on Cape Cod. Along the way I learned some things that I thought I should pass on to others just getting started in this sport. Hopefully this will help them have as much fun as I did.
1. Try to discover the predominate bait fish.
My first night out. I was on the beach at sunset. I'm just learning on my new 10 weight rod. The first half dozen casts are great. I'm feeling confident. Then, a back cast wistles past my ear. I try to put a little punch into my forward cast to make up for it, and the leader wraps around the rod tip. I stand there a little dejected trying to figure out why my Clouser is wriggling. I've snagged a 4" sand eel. Now I know.
2. When trying to cast perpendicular to the wind, have your casting arm on the down wind side of your body. If this is not possible, use a Clouser with fairly small eyes. They hurt less when they hit you in the back of the head.
3. If your casting arm is getting tired, duck a little on your forward cast(see#2)
4.The fighting butt is on your rod for a reason. After catching several 16" schoolies minutes apart my wrist was getting sore. It wasn't just the fish. I was fishing a tidal creek, and the tide was flowing out at a rapid rate. A 16" in a strong current feels like a whoper. I realized this, crammed the butt into my stomach just below the ribs, and landed the next fish much easier. Duh!
5. When fishing after dark always have a penlight with you. Not so much for wading and casting, but for undoing those *&%#! tangles before a fish rips the guides off your rod.
6.Above all have fun! A few tangles and knots are nothing compared to a beautifull sunset on an empty beach.
Thanks to everone who helped me along the way. I look forward to my next trip
Aaron