+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the keys

Default the keys

well, lets put it this way; the fishing was awesome, but catching would have been even better. we got a guided trip on our first day there, but the water temps started out at 69 degrees and only reached 73. it was pretty windy and the sun stayed behind the clouds. we only saw one school of bonefish and one lone tarpon, neither of which we hooked up with. i did catch a 20 inch sea trout during the charter, but that was about it. during the rest of the vacation, my brother and i waded the flats for a few days. we saw a bunch of bonefish, as well as tons of baracuda, but we never caught any of them. All in all, it was a great vacation, and hopefully i get another chance at the big florida bones.

How good is your double haul?

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Good to hear you got out on the water. Bummer the fishign wasn't better though but catchin' is only part of it

Next time you head down that way you need to let me know. I can recommend the best guide down there. You mention water temps only getting up to 73. That is more than warm enough (even too warm to some) to see plenty of Bones. My guy down there finds fish when I think there is no possible way we would see Bone's given the conditions (wind, cold air and water). Yest every time I fish with him we see lots and lots of fish and usually catch a few too

At least three times now we have located and caught Bonefish in water under 65F. So don't let guides fool yoy into the "the water is just too cold today" excuse.

It might be a good thing you didn't hook a Bonefish as that is ALL you would be thinking about from that point on

Where were you staying / fishing? Who did you fish with?

------------------
    Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish
    If it has fins and swims than I must chase it!

You're right mr Pooh bah. Florida is all fished out. Better try somewhere else.

Rusty <><

Just Another Perfect Day In Paradise

------------------
    if you wanna catch something ya gotta get a hook in the water

I was talking with Sandy Moret and he explained Keys' fishing this way. He said that if you hire a Keys' guide and you get 10 opportunities to cast a fly to bonefish, then you've had a good day. He said if you get 20 chances, then you've had a great day. He said if you get 20 chances and you land a bonefish, make sure you buy a lottery ticket on the way home.

Hey, Dr. Fish, who's the best guide in the Keys? I've fished with a number of good ones.

J Castwell wrote: Florida? I'm not so sure. I think they may be all 'bs' and no bonz. IMHO, Beware of the hype on Florida, the keys and the flats. In my opinion,,, it's getting deep.
    Hype on the Bahamas? Mostly pretty straight.

Hey, J, you're right about the number fish in the islands and other exotic destinations. But unless you've caught a Keys' bone, you've really not caught a bone. Anyone can catch a Bahama bone, Venezueal bone, Belize bone, Yucatan bone, Christman Island bone, but it takes a real angler to catch a Keys' bone.

Believe me, there are plenty of bones around Islamorada, but the pressure is heavy and the fish are smart. I'd take one Keys' bone over 50 easy bones any time.

J Castwell wrote: Seems that is about the ratio, 1 in Florida to 50 in the Bahamas.

True. And that's my point. Anyone can catch bones in the Bahamas or other exotic spots. But if you've never caught a Keys' bone, you've never really bonefished. You make my point, j castwell.

At the price to travel and fish in these wonderful places, I'll still take a nice batch a large bonz to maybe catching one.
    Thanks anyway. To each his own.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Going on thursday. Should i just stay in the hotel pool?
    "Growin up leads to growin old and then to dyin. Dyin to me don't sound like all that much fun." J Mellencamp

Rusty's right. All the guides are pains and grumpy, all the hotels are full, there is NO room, there are man-eatin' gators in the storm drains and all bodies of water...no fish!!! Ill-tempered sharks on the flats. I wouldn't come here if I were y'all!!

+ Reply to Thread