+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default Poll

I am interested in everone's opinion on a matter that has my dander up. Our Game Warden's have not answered the question to my satisfaction, yet!

We have many streams designated as "Artificials Only", yet the majority around here fishes them with spinning rods, spincast rods and Berkely Power Bait Paste or Trout Nuggets, imitation salmon eggs (you know, the little rubber balls with salmon scent in them), or corn-flavored dough bait, while sitting on the bank, effectively cutting off anyone wanting to drift a fly or lure downstream. You also cannot wade past them. You must get out of the water and walk way downstream and re-enter the stream-bed to resume fishing. I have also seen people lately fishing with GULP artificial worms (made from chopped up nighcrawlers). This is currently allowed (sort of...they're not sure either). I do not feel like this is in keeping with the spirit of "Artificials Only". To me, "Artificials Only" means lures, flies, wading, stalking and proper etiquette and respect for the environment...and much more. None of which would be met by bait-fishing! I like to bait fish, too. But I do it at the lake and larger rivers and not where there are signs that say "Artificials Only". They are going to have public hearings on new regulations for next year soon.

What do y'all think? Do prepared baits and still-fishing meet the criteria for "Artificials Only"?

Gig, If I'm right, in Wyo. artificial means just that. If your bait is made with anything natural, or anypart of a natural occurring food item, you are illeagal.
    Most people I know use only flies or hardware with no scents or dough, etc. when fishing artificial only areas.

------------------
    Wyo-blizzard
    Wyo-Blizzard

Gigmaster,
    You have a long hard battle to fight if you're going to change a tradition of bait fishing!

When spinning equipment crossed the Atlantic after WW2 our local flyshop owner said...Thats the end of fly fishing unless we outlaw it. It wasn't the end...some of us limited our methods and our catch while others carried onion bags full of fish home with them.

People who are otherwise upright and law abiding become scofflaws of the worst type when it comes to game laws.

Wardens and judges who won't enforce the laws lead me to suspect that they wear dark clothing as they sneak along the trout streams, scurrying from tree to tree not to avoid being seen by the trout...but by other fishers as they plop hudge nightcrawlers into the riffles.

The only answer is to enforce the game laws and that may mean big fines! Thats the only thing that works. Too bad but thats the way it is.

Ol' Bill

Artifical only doesn't include prepared baits. In fact, in several states, you can't use organic smells like shrimp oil on your fly or lure since it's based on a bait by-prouduct. I don't see how you can stop people from still fishing - if someone wants to toss a fly on a lake and let is sit for hours that seems like their perogative.

If your game warden hasn't answered the question perhaps you should get a hold of someone at the division of wildlife who defines the regulations. Then have them talk to your game warden so the story gets set straight. People shouldn't be fishing power bait of any kind in artificial-only water, it defeats the purpose of the original intention of the regulations.

Best,

-John

My personal interpretation of "artificial only" would not include any prepared baits or scents. However, I would think that the intent is, in part, to prevent the introduction of "undesirable/unwanted" species(minnows) to those waters(I could be wrong on this). My thinking is that at least some prepared baits/scents probably contain ingredients that could ultimately be harmful.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

You get caught using anything but flies or artificial lures (spoons, plugs, spinners) normally referred to as hardware in an ALO water in Maine and your gonna get a summons if you get caught.

ALO and FFO in northeastern states means exactly what it implies. Fly Fishing Only and Artificial Lures Only. That means "lures" not prepared baits, or dead live baits, etc. etc.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

I can't believe that if you chop up something natural in little pieces and then reassemble it, the bait becomes artificial. I guess that makes a hamburger artificial food. I will have to go with Maine's policy on this one. The spirit of the law is clear if not the application. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

To me, artificial only means crankbaits, spinners, spoons, jigs, plastic worms, etc...

If it's not in the regulations, it should be put in there outlining exactly what is allowed... The dough baits and little things you put on hooks I don't think should be allowed in an artificials only area...I consider it bait, even though it's not real or live bait.

------------------
    "If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Howdy Gang
    I do feel that you and the rivers fish are being let down.
    The idea of not useing bait was to reduce GUT HOOKING fish. As you know seldom will a fish live if gut hooked. Were with a spinner lure or fly the hook is in the mouth of jaw.
    This makes releasing the fish easier and if it is undersized it will live.
    What I hate the most is the dang jars on the bank, in the water, they do not disolve.
    Push your State for help in curbing the problem, Signs and enforment.

ol Al

------------------
    Ol' Flysoup
    Flycasting is as easy as flysoup

RW,
    And thats the way it should be. Hopefully we will get something like that going here in NY state sometime and eventually and maybe but don't hold your breath!

Ol' Bill

+ Reply to Thread