+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bimini Twist Questions.

Default Bimini Twist Questions.

I've been learning how to tie a Bimini twist. It is not a hard knot to tie, I just don't know if I'm doing it correctly, and then I am not sure how to use it from that point on.

First, after tying the knot is there supposed to be any slippage of the tag end and loop on the main line (as when you hook up with a fish) or is it a solid knot.

Second, so I have a twist and it is a double line. How do I fasten a fly to it. Do I use a Palomar knot at the end of the loop or do I tie on a piece of tippet (with which knot).

How is this knot beneficial if I have a single piece of leader connecting to the line and on the other side I have some other knot that is less efficient.

I am confused and await enlightenment.

jed

The knot shouldn't slip, though it will stretch under pressure and the wraps will appear to spread out.

Usually, the doubled line is used to create a loop for looping leader to fly line or leader butt, or backing to fly line. It is also used to create a doubled line for connection to a heavy shock tippet with knots such as the Slim Beauty, Huffnagle, or even an albright.

I have never used the doubled line to attach the fly.

In a leader system, I typically tie a bimini it the tippet to create a loop that is then doubled with a surgeons loop that is looped to the leader butt. I then use a non slip mono loop knot to tie fly to tippet. If using a shock tippet, I put a bimini in both ends. One end is looped to leader butt and the other used to tie to the shock tippet.

[This message has been edited by tailingloop (edited 20 March 2005).]

What tailingloops said. The double line is insurance of sorts. I use them in heavy cover, especially down in the 'Glades when a snook can take you back in the mangroves and berak you off...still have one more chance to get 'em out if he only breaks one. The middle of the bimini, if there are biminis on both ends, becomes your tippet strength. Hard to explain, kinda.

Hi Jed,
    I use the bimini when I am tying a small diameter line to a significantly larger line. For example 20# leader to 80# shock tippet. The bimini creates a long section of doubled line that can be used to tie to the thicker line using knots such as a slim beauty, non-name knot, or albright. The other place that I use biminis is on the end of my backing. That way I have a large loop that can be connected to the small loop I have whipped to the back end of my fly line. It is then a breeze to switch from one line to another by just doing a loop to loop connection by passing your reel through the large loop.

Regards,

Keith

------------------
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." Kermit the Frog

+ Reply to Thread