+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Odd Hook Ups

Default Odd Hook Ups

Have you ever seen a fly used in a strange way and yet work?

Here's my tale

A friend of mine is a spinning fisherman. He borrows a few of my flys to use a teasers ahead of his lure, which is a common way to fish in this area. But....

The next day he was clam fishing and was to lazy to take off the leader with the teaser setup on it. So he attaches a second leader with his clam rig below the origional setup. He tosses the whole rig out in the surf and sits down to wait. Before to long the rod bends over with a nice hook up. You guessed it the striper is on the teaser. He continued fishing and caught 2 more fish on the same setup, all on the fly.

Whats your story.

Larry

hoping for some stories here. Best I have is catching an eight pound pike on a one inch minnow. Why would it bother?

strike indicator flies.
    orange deer hair spun on a hook used as an indicator.amazing the amount of fish caught in this manner.

Well, this might qualify.

I was fishing a standard dry fly, the first time I was using a dry that I had personally tied. The fish weren't overly impressed but they weren't actually rising anyway so I wasn't too disappointed.

On about my 5th or 6th cast a sparrow darted out of a stream side bush and hit my fly just as it hit the water. Fortunately, when the line tightened the fly popped out of it's mouth and I was able to continue fishing.

Rick

------------------
    Fish more, work less!

Blog Entries

budwudla

clam fishing? I am guessing that is using clams for bait and not trying to get hooked up with a clam? Just making sure.....

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:00958]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:00958]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

False casting to get more line out of the guides while fly fishing for Salmon on a West Coast river. While starting a back stroke after my forward cast had a Salmon jump up out of the water about a foot after the popcicle fly. He missed it but it really got my heart to racing. Hooked into a nice King from the same hole soon afterwards.

7. Default

<< Caught a bat on a #16 coachman...boy, can these little buggers squeal!!
    ... had a porpoise on a #4/0 deceiver, foul-hooked in the head... took 300 yards of line before things went 'bang!'
    ...had someone hanging over me while salmon fishing, trying to 'invade' my space on the pool... took his deerstalker hat, c/w flies, on a flying visit to the pool.
    ...hooked a 'cuda of about 30 pounds while casting to a 3 pound bonefish. Wish i had caught the bone instead!
    ...caught my dog on the backcast...she wishes i had caught the 'bonefish instead!
    Andy

------------------
    As featured in Trout Fisherman, UK, Jan 2005! I'd still rather be fishin'!!

+ Reply to Thread