Hi Guys,
Just back from Cayo Coco, two weeks of paradise with fly-rod! I had two days offshore fishing booked, but cancelled the second day after the disaster of day 1! The winds were up about 15 knots, and the skipper of the boat wouldn't take us outside the reef... cost us $350 to have one strike, a 'cuda of 2-3 pounds. All the boats wanted to do was take your money, so day two was cancelled.
I asked at the poolside bar if there was anyone local who could take me bonefishing... the following morning, Juanito Araguez, a guide with Havanatur was waiting for me at breakfast. A day was planned for bones at Cayo Paredon, cost;130 pesos. The following morning, Juan was waiting with a taxi to take us to the boat. On arrival at Paredon, i was introduced to Orlando the boatman/guide, given a brief on what awaited us, tackled up over a beer.... and set off! After 10 minutes or so, we saw about 40 tarpon rolling on the surface, so we cut the engine and cast over them. I rose one of about 100-120 pounds to a popper, which ran 200 metres, leapt 3 times and threw the fly 20 feet into the air! What a start! Twenty minutes later, we arrived at the flats. With both guide 100 metres either side, we walked up a shoal of around 300 schoolie bonefish. I had one of around 3 pounds, which took 80 metres of backing on the first run. When we found the fish again, on my second cast 30 metres square of water surface exploded in front of me as a 4 ft long 'cuda chased into them... all 10 metres in front of me! The shoal split into two... one made off for the deeper water, the other moved a few hundred yards then started feeding again. I walked them up, cast to the edge of them and hooked my second of the day.... 120 metres of backing flew off the reel before i could yell to Juan that i had a strike. ten minutes later, a six and a half pounder came to hand. The tide had receded by then, so we set off to troll a fly for cuda in the deeper water, on the way home. About ten minutes into this, i struck a cuda of around ten pounds... all great fun on a #7 weight. When we got back to base, our taxi awaited us... so, with a cold beer in hand, we set off for the hotel. All in all, a very satisfying day for a lot less money than other places charge.
I had one further day with Juanito. It was a full moon the previous night, so the bonefish were feeding by the moon and there were few on the flats. Both guides done everything they could to find fish.... we only spotted a dozen or so, but all bigger than we'd seen previously. I skunked.... but still came home smiling, the guides had done their best, i had cast to bones of around 10 pounds, but they had ignored the tan/pearl gotcha... their bellies full from the previous night, i guess!
All other fishing i done was on my own, cost 50 pesos return for a taxi to Cayo Paredon, plus tip. I spent many a happy hour on the flats there, catching a few and missing even more! If i had taken the spinning gear, i could have fished the north shore for tarpon. They grow big there! A friend hooked one at dusk, which took 400 metres of line as it headed to Florida, before everything went 'ping' They are just too far out to wade and fly-cast to.
February is really the beginning of the season in Cuba... the fishing really hots up in May-July. Tarpon abound, bonefish a-plenty, permit make their appearance, sailfish are in!
Next time, I go later in the year.

Andy

------------------
As featured in Trout Fisherman, UK, Jan 2005! I'd still rather be fishin'!!

[This message has been edited by AScott Trout Flies (edited 08 March 2005).]