+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Texas coast

Default Texas coast

Hi All,

Looking forward to some new experiences on the texas coast this year. I have spent some time in rockport and corpus. I was hoping to find a group of people who fish the areas who are willing to share some of their wisdom.

I usually wade or kayak, but anything goes.

Thanks..

PS.. I am willing to bring the beer or buy the fuel...

2. Default

What do you need to know?

FWIW- I have NEVER and I mean NEVER EVER EVER EVER had a refusal from a tailing redfish in a foot of water or less when I put a #6 bead eyed clouser in natural and white.

Advice- fish the backside of mustang island, lighthouse lakes kayak trails (a no prop zone), and the B & R flats. Should be good sight fishing...

If you have never fished down there, do not be distracted by the mullet making commotion on the surface. I could try and describe the difference between a redfish and mullet, but let me just say instead, that you will know the difference the first time you see a red rooting around as compared to a mullet.

Also, fish the tides either coming or going. I prefer a rising tide because I like hunting fish in super shallow water and they get up shallow on a high tide looking for crabs and what not.

Lastly, slowly shuffle your feet to avoid stingrays (they ARE there). Feel free to email or message me if you have any other questions.

Tight Lines,
    Acuna

Thanks for the reply. I have not payed much attention to the tides or wind because I fish when I get their and dont stop until I leave. lol...

I figured out on my first trip the diff between the reds and the mullet.. grew up on the gulf coast of miss so I figured it out soon enough.. caught a red my first trip out..
    but I only caught a couple.. I have had people tell me I cant catch without sight casting.. which I am not sure I believe..

After that, I just cas and cast into the shallows and ended up catching a flounder on a black and gold clouser.. It came right out of the weeds and just knocked the heck out of that clouser.

But after that.. no real luck..

I usually go to St. Charles bay, but am open to going anywhere from corpus to Rockport..

Thanks again..

4. Default

St. Charles Bay is nice. I like to fish there but usually end up closer to Port A.

The way to catch reds without sight casting (ok, a GOOD way to catch lots) is to find a cut where the flats drain off during a falling tide. The fish (trout, reds, anything else) will stack up in that cut and intercept bait as it gets sucked off the flat. Can be a very fun way to fish. Also, fly fishing at night under the lights is fun for schoolie trout. You may not catch many keepers but you will catch a lot. Glow in the dark clousers and gurgle bugs will bring you plenty of strikes.

I love that area of the Texas Coast.

Acuna

Talon
    Post your question to Coastal Kayak Angler (a new board with a lot of the same people from TKF). I'm sure you'll get the answer to your question.
    [url=http://www.coastalkayakangler.com/forum/:7bc68]CKA[/url:7bc68]

[This message has been edited by Barry (edited 03 March 2005).]

Cut down the learning curve dramatically... get in touch with "slowride" Dean on the TKF website: [url=http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/:fda51]http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/[/url:fda51]

He guides those areas (B&R and LHL). If the budget is tight just post on the board that you are looking for a fishing partner and the days and I bet you find someone fishing those days.
    hope this helps

+ Reply to Thread