OK, talking about "Yellowtail" in the Keys is most likely referring to Yellowtail Snapper. Yes, the Jack Crevalle have yellow tails but I've not heard them referred to as "Yellowtail."

So, back to the Yellowtail Snapper. Yes, they can be a lot of fun on a light fly rod (6WT or so). They are strong fighters and the likelihood that your 'Tail is attacked by a larger fish during your fight is a very good one. So, while you could get away with a 4WT or 5WT, a 6WT - 8WT would be a better option so you are more prepared to catch some of the other critters that will show up behind the boat.

Sorry but this is not a great Yellowtail shot but it?s one I had handy

I have had a lot of fun catching 'Tails in the Keys. It is certainly best done from a boat and chumming is ideal but no essential. Be forewarned that they have EXCELLENT eyesight and light AND LONG fluoro leaders are best for more bites BUT light leaders make catching the other fish tough. Typically, I like a leader that tapers down to 10lb or so fluoro. Yellowtail Snapper teeth are peglike so they will rarely bite through the light line. If you are fishing them real shallow near good cover you may need to beef up the leader as they will dog you into the bottom and cut you off on structure. Some of the very best times to fish them with the fly is during and right after a strong blow. This is because the water is usually dirtier and this makes them a bit less shy to take flies and heavier leader.

My flies of choice are small chart/white Clouser's tied on #4 - 8 hooks. The fly size depends on water clarity and fish size. When we target the big fat "Flag" Yellowtails in the 17"+ range, I go with bigger flies in the #2 range.

Here is a nice little Yellowfin Grouper that came as an incidental on the fly while fishing Yellowtail Snapper

So yes, they are a lot of fun and YES they sure taste GREAT!

------------------
Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish
If it has fins and swims than I must chase it!