+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Line Question ??

Default Fly Line Question ??

hi everyone
    Lately i have been looking for a fly line for my 10wt.I found some fly lines that say

The sinking section is 30 feet long with a 70 foot running line section, totaling 100 feet.

Does that mean it only sinks 30 feet down. Or does its sink rate slow after that 30 feet of line. Or that 30 feet is just the weighted portion of the fly line and the whole fly line sinks at a steady rate.

extra info: fishing for rock fish, 10 ips(inches per second, fishng at depths of 50-80 feet.

thanks. <><

------------------
    trout, bass, sea bass i dont care its fishing. <><

These types of lines, often referred to as integrated heads or integrated lines (the shooting head and shooting line are factory spliced and coated), have a 30foot sinking section (or 27, or 25, or 24 as in the case of the original Teeny T series) followed by a floating or intermediate shooting (or running) line. The sinking portion will pull the shooting line down with it. Naturally, lines with an intermediate shooting line will sink faster than those with a floating shooting line. The lines with a floating running line are ideal for river applications where you may need to mend line as in steelhead and salmon fishing.

Many of these lines don't sink evenly but some, like Rio's I think, have density compensated and do sink more evenly.

The fastest sinking versions of these lines will enable you to fish fairly deep, though not as deep as when using a leadcore shooting head and mono shooting line. If I was fishing 50-80 feet deep that is the type of set up I would prefer. I have fished both integrated heads and interchangable shooting heads site by side and find that as you go deeper and deeper the leadcore (Cortland LC-13) or tungsten (Rio T14) heads better, especially when paired with a mono shooting line. Many people don't like to mess with building a shooting head system, hence the popularity of integrated heads.

Thanks i'll look into that

Orvis makes some lines which have basically the same configurations, but with intermediate running line.

Wait, just found better ones! Kaufmanns has the new SA Streamer express lines. Better quality, less mark-up. [url=http://kman.com/wet_tip.htm:38f72]http://kman.com/wet_tip.htm[/url:38f72]

+ Reply to Thread