+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bahamas in April

1. Default Bahamas in April

Hi everyone,

Going to the Bahamas in April. What flies do you recommend. I will be based out of Harbour Island fishing the North Eleuthra flats. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Tight Lines,
    Acuna

Acuna, I'll be there April 23rd-30th at Unique village. This will be my 1st trip and I'm pumped for it. I would recommend pink, tan, white, and brown for colors. Crazy charlies,Gotchas, JC's Pink Puff, crab and shrimp patterns from Dick Browns Bonefish fly Patterns.

I'm tying shrimp in pink, white and tan with legs( Sand Bandit by terry baird)

Vary the wight for the different depths. Keep the flash to a minimum.

dO A SEARCH ON BAHAMAS or Eleuthera and you should get better info than ,mine.

My .02
    I'm a rookie just trying to help.

Philip

[This message has been edited by old geezer (edited 07 February 2005).]
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

3. Default

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I am down with the Crazy Charlies and Gotchas with different eyes for different situations. Does anyone have a recipe/instructions for the Sand Bandit? I cant find it on the internet....

Also, in talking with a friend of mine who went the last two years- one year the hot fly was an epoxy shrimp and the other year the hot fly was a bonefish slider...

Again, thanks for the help...

4. Default

Another question I have- I am planning on bringing my portable fly tying kit with me to the Bahamas to whip up whatever is hot when I get there (if I don't already have it). Is there anything I should worry about re:taking hackles out of the country and then trying to get them back in? Thanks- not that I am going to be taking some super nice dry fly necks, but I sure would hate to bring over some of my saddles only to have to give them to the customs people...

Tight lines,
    Acuna

Sand Bandit is an easy tie.

Hooks: 1-8

thread: 2 lb Ande mono

Eyes: Med. bead chain or lead

Tail: Pink(or yellow,Chartreuse,or brown)Marabou

Body: 1/8" pearl Flashabou overrapped on shank

Wing: Two stacks superhair: bottom clear,top pink (or color to match tail)

Feelers: (optional) Two strands Krystal flash one and one times wing length, angled up and spalyed out on the sides:barred with red,black or other marker.

The key is to have the legs angled at the bottom, allowing constant movement when fished.

pge 145 Bonefish fly Patterns (Dick Brown)

Philip

[This message has been edited by old geezer (edited 08 February 2005).]
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

Hey Acuna,

I'll be on Eleuthera in Govenor's Harbour for just about all of April. A "Must" have fly would be a very boring Lt. Tan Crazy #6 & #8 Charlie with tiny beadchain eyes.

The most important advice I can give about fishing Eleuthera's spooky bones is to keep your strips gentle. No sudden movements...just a slowww steady strip...strip...stop! You'll find out what I mean when you give that first twitch with a bone nearby...it'll take off like it was stung by a bee.

We'll be paddling our inflatable kayak once or twice up into the N. Eleu flats behind the airport...So...If you see a grey SeaEagle inflatable with two guys just killing the bones..."That's us!"

Later, and good fishing down there.

Henry

7. Default

Henry,

When you tie your light tan crazy charlies are you making the body tan too, or just the wing? If you are doing the body too, what do you use for materials. Thanks!

Acuna

Henry, Bring a few extra of those awesome flies I'll be looking for you.

Philip

Hey Acuna and Old Geezer,

I use tie the tan charlie out of tan craft fur 4 strands of pearl krystal flash material, body is underwrapped with 6/0 tan uni thread and overwrapped with clear medium vinyl rib. Wing extending only half or less the hook length beyond the hookbend.

Tie some blind ones too to toss on the heads of tailers in skinny water.

Hey Geezer, I'm bringing a good selection of baitfish imitations to Eleuthera to fish the Atlantic-side beaches/shorelines for big Jacks and Snappers...loads of fun and a great option between good bonefish tides.

Later guys,

Henry

I'll be in Current, North Eluthera for the last 2 weeks of April. I'll be fishing the flats in town, the Current Cut, various other flats in the north and my Brother-in-law who lives there and has a big 47' boat wants to take me out on the Dutch bar and roust up some billfish. Should be fun. See ya on the flats. I'll be the biker looking dude out there.
    As for flies, I'm tying lots of Crazy Charlies in 4,6,8 and pink,white and tan, Gotchas, Bonefish Specials, lots of Deceivers and Clousers, Poppers and Cuda Needlefish.
    Dave in Smithville, Ontario

+ Reply to Thread