+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: that flat's dude (fly)

Default that flat's dude (fly)

i was asked a while ago to submit some saltwater flies for a museum exhibit in germany. how they got my name or why they would want my flies is beyond me. anyway, i had a few flies that were somewhat original, and i sent them off, but i had to name them. one fly i named 'the flats dude' in honor of our own gary. it had dumbell eyes like a clouser and was tied by palmering marabou up the hook shank (and adding flash along the way). anyway, don't i get the new orvis catalog yesterday and, under new flies, i see 'the flats dude' (only with a different name). damn--had i submitted it i probably could have retired on the royalties....

Oh, i'm not insinuating orvis stole my fly; someone else had the same idea (it really wasn't that novel) and beat me to submitting it. but i figure with mine in germany i have the european rights!

Sure Dave,

You have the rights but they have the money.

jed

Well, at least I got 50 cents for my namesake!*G*

what is the current euro/dollar conversion? i hope i don't get taken!

what was the name of the new orvis fly?

"Real fishermen have a patch on thier eye and a pegleg!"

Chris Radding

7. Default

A friend of mine had a fly in the Orvis catalog a few years back. I think he got one or two royalty cecks but nothing that he could retire off of. Also I was looking at the Rainy's fly catalog the other day and saw a fly that I have been tying for a number of years as my primary go to fly for false albacore fishing. Almost identical, right down to the Chartreuse Ultra Hair in the middle and the peacock herl topping. You can see it on the Reel-time fly tying page or on my flytying page. My point is that observant and creative anglers/flytiers (not that I am either) will often have the same ideas completely independent of each other. I think the guy that tied the fly that looked like mine was from Chile or something. Go figure. Happens. I thought it was pretty funny.

------------------
    Capt Gordon

http://www.flyfish-nc.com

chris, not sure because the catalog is at home, but i do think it was the "chris'" something. It wasn't yours, was it?

nah... not me. If i new of a killer pattern, why would i want to advertise it to the rest of the world? Before i knew it, every striper would have already seen it and by then i would be out of luck. Thats pretty much why i don't see the logic in putting a great pattern in a huge company's fly index. I guess you would have a moment of fame, but you wouldnt have very many good moments of fishing. By the way, orvis online has three new flies made by some "Chris." You wouldn't mind checking that out for me, would ya? I want to keep tying and im trying to expand my fly box to more than just clousers and decievers.

Tight lines for the Florida residents,

Chris

Glad it's not you; now i don't have to sue ya i just checked the catalog and it's called chris's slick willie. maybe i'm wrong--if you see it, does it look like the hook point rides up? if not, i'm sending the flat's dude off!

anyway, i like the kenney abrames flies for striper fishing. Ray's fly is a great fly--productive, easy to cast and easy to tie. and i like the way flat wings look in the water.

+ Reply to Thread