+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boga vs Rapela

1. Default Boga vs Rapela

i went to the local sporting goods store late at nite to find a lipper. i wanted the Boga Grip, but all they had was a Berkely that felt really flimsy, the Rapela Guide that was too heavy, and the Rapela Lock-n-Grip which i ended up buying. looking at this thing compared to the Boga Grip makes me wonder if it can just plain rip the lips off a fish? it also seems larger in the clamping mechanism, but it won't matter if only one end is going into the mouth. i haven't used it yet thanks to finicky fish, but has anyone had experience with the Rapela Lock-n-Grip? it's of nice build quality and is handy in it's setup. clings nicely to my wading pack strap too.

------------------
    take him fishing

The Boga is far superior to the Berkely and the Rapala. The Berkely has a reputation for injuring fish because it does not swivel and no spring to absorb the movement of a wigling fish. This can break a fishes mouth or jaw. It can also be hard on your wrist. The newer Rapalas have a spring scale but I don't think they swivel, so same problem. Another complaint about the Rapala is that is is much harder to slip over a fish's lip. I've used the Boga and it is very easy to use and the kindest to fish.

------------------
    Joe

perfectloop
    I've owned both the Boga and the Rapala Lock'N Weigh. I prefer the Rapala! IMO, it does a better job holding the fish's lip. I found it very hard to hold a Flounder with my Boga, but it's a snap with my Rapala (by the way, the Lock'N Weigh head does swivel). I think the Boga might be a little better constructed, but for the price difference, I like the Rapala.

I own the rapala and find it difficult to slip onto a fish's lip esp if you are trying to use it instead of handling the fish for release. Yes, the head does swivel...after some salt use, it shows signs of some corrosion but not major. Overall, I would wait and save money for the Boga.

[This message has been edited by Hojo (edited 06 February 2005).]

I have the Rapala and use it over the edge of my boat on a freshwater lake for lake trout, landlocks, etc. Works great for me and the price was right.

Diane
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

With a #30 & a #60 Boga Grip, I just look at the other knockoffs in the stores. These Boga lippers are just about indestructible & adjustable calibration for weighing when the scale gets out of measurement!

7. Default

i had a chance to use my LocknGrip thing on a seatrout recently, but it got restless and shook off my hook while waiting next to my kayak. oh well, next time.

------------------
    take him fishing

I have thought about getting the boga because of the scale but it is really expensive. Can anyone justify to me that spending over 100$ for a grip and scale is worth it? I am just curious.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

Maybe just to weigh 2 redfish at the same time & take a picture! Put their bellies together & Boga them both! Or to grip a snook and leave it in the surf until you're ready to measure it! Odds of that IGFA record are slim, but if you've got a boga grip; send it in & they'll confirm it's weight scale or recalibrate it for you when you submit that world record fish catch!

saltydancindave
    I sent my Rapala in to the IGFA and had it certified. The State of TX will accept the grip/scale certification for State records.

+ Reply to Thread