+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wading the Flats Question

Default Wading the Flats Question

I will be fishing in Galveston Bay next week and have been reading about saltwater fishing in the gulf. I see mention of mud and muck bottoms, and was wondering how deep the muck is and if there is a possibilty of getting stuck, as I will be fishing alone?

Thanks,
    Adam

------------------
    vox clamantis in deserto

Galveston Bay is huge, so it depends on where you're going to fish. Not a particularly helpful answer, but some spots are worse than others. I'm assuming you're going to be wade fishing? If it's any comfort, I've never been in mud so deep I couldn't get out - you shouldn't have a problem.

Generally speaking, bayous and guts up around marshy areas tend to be the muddiest. Areas closer to open water tend to have more hard sand and/or shell.

Reply here or PM me if you'd like and I can point you to some spots you might try.

JBB

Helicopsyche, I would use the simple rule, when it becomes muckey stop,turn around and head back the way you entered. Enjopy your trip and catch some for me while I snow blow and shovel GRRRR.

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

4. Default

i stayed close to shore and didn't wade past my thighs and that was only when the tide was coming up and i was heading back to the car. for me, the worst mud was along the shore near the grass. not deep, but slippery as snot with my felt sandals.

johnb, i went out last week and had no luck -- not even a strike. this was the 8 Mile Rd/Sweetwater Lake inlet area. is there anywhere better you recommend? i'd like a red, but at this point, i'm up for anything that'll take a fly. i have thursday and friday to stalk some fish so i might camp and start early friday if need be.

------------------
    take him fishing

Thanks to all.

JohnB
    I would love some advice on where to go. I tried to send you an email but your e-mail doens't show up in your profile. You could e-mail me if you would like. My email is in my profile. I only have one day to try for something in the salt (Jan 26) so I will take any advice you have to offer.
    Thanks,
    Adam

------------------
    vox clamantis in deserto

One of the most important things to remember is to slide your feet. That improves your chances greatly for not stepping on a sting ray if they have 'em in Texas. Stepping down on one of those critters can provide a painful and quite dangerous wound. Sliding your feet will cause the ray to scurry off. A ray has an anticoagulant coating on its barb and some are quite allergic to the poisons. A good pair of flats boots are a must, or an old pair of tennis shoes if there are no oysters (they won't protect your ankles).

[This message has been edited by Flats Dude (edited 19 January 2005).]

I am no expert by any means!!!!! But I think Galveston Bay may have some bad spots, but not like the gulf coast areas nearer the mouth of the Mississippi. I think it becomes more dangerous as you move toward Louisiana and Mississippi. Stay in the sand and away from grassy and marshy areas.

I'm a novice fisherman, but Gulf Coast (Louisiana) native.

PerfectLoop, I can't recall the weather last week, was that at the beginning of our current "cold" snap? Right behind fronts is tough, need a few warming days with sun on the water to get the fish active and back on the flats. Temps are rebounding right now, so the upcoming several days may start looking up. Sportsman's is a good spot, easy access. As you are standing at the end of the road, there is a large-ish grass island right in front of you about 100 yds. out. Behind that (on the left of the island - not the bay side) there is a deep gut that usually holds fish. Reds can also get back there in the grass. On the bay side, several hundred feet out, there is a reef made up of oyster shells (I believe it's a part of Confederate Reef). You can work this structure over and pick up trout. Other spots to consider are Galveston Island State Park, Indian Beach/Jumbile Cove, Sea Isle, and the back side (bay side) of San Luis Pass. If you do fish the Pass, be very, very careful as the current there can be strong. This creates some deep guts that can have you over your head quickly.

Adam, Sportsman's - the spot I described above - may be a good bet for you. It is easy to get to, and can be easily waded. It is muddy, but not too bad. You'll need waders and some wading boots, water's chilly. I'll email you directions.

Flats Dude, we have rays - tons of them. Yes, the stingray shuffle is the approach of choice. I've tried the leg armor, not sure if you've seen that sort of thing over your way. It would work, but it is a royal pain in the a** in terms of keeping your flyline clear. Way too many buckles, etc. to get tangled on.

JB

9. Default

i know where that turnoff is. i'll check it out tomorrow or friday. is the water really that cold right now? last week, similar temps and i was wading in shorts. i guess i'll throw on a jacket and pants to at least block the wind from chilling my legs. thanks!

------------------
    take him fishing

Water temp at Galveston Pier 21 right now is 53 deg. Too chilly for me w/o waders.

+ Reply to Thread