+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wear a Life Vest..............

Default Wear a Life Vest..............

On June 10, 2006 my buddy and I were float tubing on a high mountain lake in Colorado.

Heavy runoff was being discharged into the St. Vrain river through an underwater outlet that we were not aware of. Long story short both of us were sucked into the outlet drain, including our Super FatCats, and violently discharged into the white water of the St. Vrain.

Fortunately we both had inflatable fishing vests (Stormy Seas models) and were able to keep our heads above water until we were rescued.

I am selling my tubing gear but am keeping my life vest for whatever fishing I do from now on. Believe me, when your clothes are soaked and waders being filled with water, and tubing fins on your feet, it is difficult to remain calm enough to save yourself.

The "Stormy Seas" vest I have is a shorty fishing vest. A yank on the pocket flap is all it takes to inflate it. It saved two lives here in Colorado.

Bob

It's here. [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/stormyseas.html:24293]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/stormyseas.html[/url:24293]
    I 'never' go in deep water without my SS PFD.

Howdy neighbor!
    What lake was it, if you don't mind telling?
    I'll note your experience on my maps right away. Scary stuff!
    DANBOB

This sounds pretty scary and you were prepared with those life vests. When I learned to flyfish my mentor went down and he got water into his waders not having a belt. I only heard him yell then cuss. I thought he had a fish on but when I caught up with him 20 min. later he was soaking wet and wide eyed stone drunk but sober from a near drowning and sitting on a boulder. I haven't invested in a fishing life vest yet but I should have by now so I'll make this a priority. I never even thought about this floating down the Snake with a guide and he didn't even offer one. I gone down twice in water only up to my knees once near Chatfield Reservoir in Colorado and another near Bend, Or. The first time I lost my rod and reel but found it 150 yds downstream. The second time I lost my wading staff. So your recommendation is a good one even for this able bodied and well balanced ex-windsurfer and volleyball player.
    Racine

+ Reply to Thread