+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Teachers

Default Teachers

I'm not an old-timer, by any means... I'm just a big kid as fishing goes. But, I think, after my 43 years of life and recent experiences while fishing, I'm qualified to add to this section of the board.
    My best advice to people in just about any walk-of-life would be to take the time to share what you know with anyone interested enough to ask. You don't have to be a pro, most times that's why they choose to ask you.
    I've recently shared what I know about the basics of fly fishing to a couple of guys who have, for whatever length of time, wanted to "get into" it.
    I didn't teach them everything they need to know - just showed them the different types of line used, difference between fly types, what it means to load the rod, showed how to place the fly gently on the surface for wary fish and how to splash for the bass wanting a big lunch, etc. I even tied a fly for one guy. - just some simple stuff. They both thought I was more than a beginner and now I do, too.
    A teacher prompts the student to become more than they are, answers the questions they can (and admits when they can't), and encourages them to reach beyond their failures.
    Give it time and you'll be one too...
    One old-timer, comin'up!

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Well put,MO. As a hunters ED insturctor, people always look at me as if I am an expert. I laugh a lot as I tell them, I learn something from the students in the classes and they learn from me. It works out as a pretty good trade, everyone wins!

I have been flyfishing off and on for thirty years and am by no means an expert, I consider my self a novice at best.

To quote my wife, a teacher for over thirty years, "A teacher who says they have nothing left to learn shouldn't be teaching."

She gave me permission to use that.

------------------
    Wyo-blizzard
    Wyo-Blizzard

Lightbulb

If you get the chance to pass on your knowledge of fly fishing be it with
    your own child or another young person consider yourself fortunate to have
    the opportunity and don't hesitate one minute.

Now 27 years old and hooked for life,
    how fortunate I have been...

Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 07-17-2020 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Its all about sharing
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

+ Reply to Thread