+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have to ask! Your Favorite Tying Thread?

Default I have to ask! Your Favorite Tying Thread?

I've become very partial to 8/0 UNI. All my 6/0 is over on the furled leader board.
    Very strong with less bulk. Some threads seem to break if they even get close to the hook point!! UNI seems to be a little tougher.
    The reason I'm asking is that UNI is very hard to find in my area.

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

Jack,
    I'm pretty sure when I was stocking a second tying area I got a whole assortment of Uni from H&H...

Might mention.....note whether you are getting a 100 yd or 200 yd spool....

Jack,

I have to admit that I prefer Uni for most flies with dubbed bodies but Gudebrod 10/0 for dubbed bodies in the 20's. I prefer flat Danville 6/0, Wapsi(UTC70) or Gudebrod 8/0 for flies without dubbed bodies. Finally, I usually use Uni 6/0 or Wapsi(UTC140) for spinning deer hair flies.

Nothing like making something simple into something complex (lol).

Allan

Blog Entries

Jack,
    For most of my tying I like the 8/0 Uni thread. The exceptions are, for flies #20 and smaller I like Georgio Benecchi 12/0 or Gordon Griffith's 14/0. For larger flies such as streamers for stripers and LMB I use Danville flat waxed nylon.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

I started using the Gudebond 10/0 about a year ago and love it. I use it for any hook size 12 and smaller. Plenty strong and allows me to make nice small, neat heads without too much bulk.

Jim Smith

Gudebrod 6/0, 8/0, 10/0

It lays flat, great color selection, can be split and is made 40 minutes away in the good old USA!

Depending on what I'm tying, I prefer either Gudebrod 8/0 or Danville 6/0. All depends on the fly (nymph, dry, streamer, etc.) and of course the size.

For flies under #20 I almost always use Gudebrod 10/0.

------------------
    "If we carry purism to it's logical conclusion, to do it right you'd have to live naked in a cave, hit your trout on the head with rocks, and eat them raw. But, so as not to violate another essential element of the fly-fishing tradition, the rocks would have to be quarried in England and cost $300 each."

~John Gierach
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

Jack,

I've been enjoying Wapsi Ultra in both 70 and 140 denier. Lays nice and flat. I also use UNI and like it very much. If you need some UNI, the Northern Angler in Traverse City on Union Street carries it.

Mike
    Cadillac, MI

Thank's Mike.
    Bob and I toured baldwin in a vain search for 6/0 UNI for furled leader's!!
    Hope to see you July 29th up on the Little Manistee. We'll have breakfast ready!

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

I use 10/0 Gudebrod for all flies 18 and smaller.

For regular size trout flies 10 through 16 I use Uni 8/0

For streamers and larger trout flies I use 6/0 Danville

For Salterwater I use a lot of 3/0 in Uni.

For plate flies I use old 5/0 silk thread like I used back when.

I buy all threads by the dozen spools of one color. When I get down to two spools left I order that color again.

I use to use a lot of Nymo I loved it for a lot of the flies I tie. Still have some left but I save it for my own flies LOL. Ron

+ Reply to Thread