+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Flies

1. Default Blue Flies

I recently read where trout are especially attracted to the color blue, but can't think of many fly patterns that utilize the color. Anyone created any flies that use the color blue, and more importantly what was the reponse from the trout.

I have some small blue feathers from a rooster pheasant skin and it got me thinking...

------------------
    mAngler

"Jack of all trades -- Master of none"

I've never seen that before. Where did you read it. You don't see much blue in the insect world of "trout" food unless they happen upon a New Carner Butterfly. BWO's are a long way from blue. Tied Salmon flies (not the insect of the same name) and steelhead flies abound in various colors. Hope you can remember where you read it. Even hackle with 'blue' in their name are really gray. . Hmmm.

Check out:
    [url=http://www.charliesflybox.com:ae630]www.charliesflybox.com[/url:ae630]

He has a poison blue tung that is a good pattern.

Hi,
    I've seen some blue adult damsel or dragon flies, and blow flies are blue bodied(which could be immitated with a blue humpy). I've also read of people using some blue flash for wing-cases on half-back nymphs and claiming this works really well.

The Invicta uses blue in the throat hackle, and blue is used in some classic sea trout flies, like the "blue, teal, and silver". The Blue Charm (Atlantic Salmon Hairwing pattern) also uses blue in the throat.

If you count the bluish tinge in some mallard wing slips, then the butcher and bloody butcher use blue (ok, I'm probably pushing it now).

Also, Betty (from here on the site) uses a snipe & blue spider on occasion at least. I recall one of her posts mentioning it, and as I'm recently trying out soft hackle flies (and enjoying them), I tied up a few. They look great, but I've not had a chance to try them out yet.

However, I've still not listed all that many patterns, and when blue does show up it's usually something like the throat. I have a packet of blue hackle feathers that I want to use up.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Thank you Jeff! They are definately my go to fly for small streams in the Black Hills and Wyoming. Blue silk or floss, built spare, and a turn or two of snipe. Wonderful.

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty, i've got to try that one. What sizes do you use?
    mAngler, blue colored flies are pretty popular on the Salmon River, here in NY. The salmon and steelhead really love them up there. I'm not sure why, but they do. Dick Stewarts book, Steelhead Flies has a number of patterns that use the color blue.

Hi Betty,

Give credit where credit is due. I really liked the sound of it and I had some blue threat that I really liked the colour of. So, I tied up some "Betty Blues" and I'm all set for the next time I get out to give them a try. Which, given the rain we're having and my current work schedual, won't be for some time. Hmmmm, maybe I should tie up some for my wife as well? That could fill in the gap.

- Jeff

8. Default

Mantis,

The reference if from the Sep 2006 Flyfisherman magazine. It's in the editor's response to a letter wondering why Simms would make their new G-3 vest in orange. (Something I've wondered myself)

The beginning of the editor's reply goes like this...

"In fact, certain species react to strike certain colors over others (rainbows, for instance, react strikingly towards blue, while smallmouth and largemouth bass react most strikingly to yellow and red)"

I find the attraction to blue hard to understand as well.

------------------
    mAngler

"Jack of all trades -- Master of none"

In Nova Scotia, red and yellow are generally thought to be the best colours for trout. Maybe just for brookies though? However, I've used Parmachene Belles (still popular in Nova Scotia) here in New Zealand and do well with them. And, a lot of the very popular NZ flies have yellow bodies (i.e. Parson's Glory; Mrs. Simpson day time) or red bodies (Scots Poacher) if they are night time flies. Blue is rare.

- Jeff

Now that I think of it, Scots Poacher uses a blue pukeko feather for the wing.

[This message has been edited by JeffHamm (edited 22 June 2006).]

I've had pretty good luck with using woolly worms tied using blue wool dubbing with a brown hackle palmered over it. The gills and sunfish love it, the bass, the trouts, I even caught a crappie on it once.

I caught my first trout on it last year in April, I believe. It wasn't a lunker and was in a local lake stocked for winter trout fishing so it was pretty lathargic, but it counts!

I can't say they go crazy for blue, but it doesn't seem to scare them away.

I say - Tie it and Try it!!!

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

+ Reply to Thread