+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deer Hair for Spinning

Default Deer Hair for Spinning

When spinning deer hair, do you use a specific type of deer hair? Like deer belly hair for tieing Dahlberg Divers?

Yes, hair from specific parts of the deer's body are preferable for spinning and stacking. Mostly belly, flanks, and back.

You're gonna get different opinions here, but here's mine...

Deer hair is great for irresistibles, Goddard caddis, and most muddler heads.

For tying bombers, diving bugs, bass bugs, and other large spun hair flies I prefer cow elk (sometimes marketed as "bass hair") or antelope. Both exhibit hair fibers that are more hollow than deer, and they flare more easily.

Antelope is sometimes criticized for being brittle. This is not really a problem if you're using compatible thread. I would recommend a larger thread whether spinning/stacking elk, antelope or deer on any large fly. If you're not already using it, consider trying Danville Flymaster Plus, single strand nylon, or even size "A" monocord. Any of these will help you firmly secure the hair to the shank without cutting through it. I also like the slight stretch nylon has, as it tends to help tighten the hair to the shank. Leave the lighter threads for smaller trout flies.

If you're serious about tying Dahlberg Divers and similar flies, you really should consider trying both antelope and cow elk. You will achieve better results with less effort.

Hope this helps some.

I add one other thought here, mule deer. I've found it flairs and spins much easier than whitetail and is also more durable. The best hair for spinning is taken from the flank or sides of either whitetail or mule deer.

------------------
    Ron M

+ Reply to Thread