+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UV Knot sense question

Default UV Knot sense question

I've posted this question on some other sites so hopefully I can get everybodys input on my question. When I picked up a tube of this stuff I forgot to get the UV mini lamp to cure it. I know that direct sunlight will cure it but I'm using it for fly tying and I don't want to have to rely on the sun to do the trick. My question is: Do I need to buy the UV mini lamp or is there some other lights that will cure this stuff? Maybe can be bought at Wally world, Hobby/Craft stores , etc.

Try googling 'UV LED' There are quite a few choices out there. I think there are some pretty cheap ones available that they use for checking for counterfeit money.

Mike

A friend of mine works for a company that sells the small UV lights to retail stores to check for counterfeit bills and gave me one a year ago. It didn't cure the Knot Sense because it didn't have the complete spectrum of UV light (I guess that's how you say it). He gave me a "new and improved" one a few months later that did cure it, so check them out if you can before you buy one.
    Joe

Blog Entries

I tried one and it didn't work. I bought the mini knot sense uv light. It works fine and didn't cost an arm and a leg. I have tried knot sense for epoxy backs but it turns dull when fished. I hear it looks better when you coat the drop of knot sense with hard as nails to keep it shiny.

Greg

Details, details, details! Ok, so what is the normal retail price of the light. Will the 'Ott' light (full spectrum stuff) cure it? Will the stuff work well for building up the big heads (with doll eyes) on saltwater streamers. Does it dull up in use or will covering it with SH keep it clear?

I tie under an Ott Lamp. It does not cure Knot Sense UV. Wrong spectra of wavelengths. A good tying lamp will not generate the low end UV wave lengths that cure Knot Sense UV. Those wave lengths are harmful to the human eye. Note - no one should stare into a UV light or shine it into anyone's eyes.

In my experience you can build up a large head with this material but I wouldn't want to. It is too expensive compared to other available materials.

I can't tell anyone if it stays clear or not. I really don't use it in any application where that would be essential.

BTW, the hardening process is an exothermic reaction.

------------------
    aka Cap'n Yid.

I would spend the money and get yourself the UV Mini Lamp, the retail on these is only around $10.00 Cdn so it certainly won't break the bank.

------------------
    Jamie

[url=http://www.jamiescustomflies.com:c6b7c]Jamie's Fly & Tackle Shop[/url:c6b7c]

Castwell asked: "Will the stuff work well for building up the big heads (with doll eyes) on saltwater streamers. Does it dull up in use or will covering it with SH keep it clear?"

This FOTW was tied using UV Knot Sense (UVKS)for the head. It is on an 8/0 Hook, so I'll call that a big head!

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/062705fotw.html:9bda0]FOTW-Big Head-UV Knot Sense & Sally's[/url:9bda0]

I do use SHHAN on the UVKS. So far so good in the Salt and fresh.

Also, I use a 5 Watt UV curing flashlight and wear UV filtering orange goggles when at the bench curing this stuff.

Also-there is practically zero waste using UVKS-so it is not expensive considering that it saves a bunch of my time. No stirr sticks and mixing pads as waste either. Win/Win.

There is a new UV system being introduced by Bob Pop and a Dentist. Comes with two coatings and a ac/dc UV lamp and UV shield. Saw it in a FF Magazine..

[This message has been edited by flymaker2 (edited 06 June 2006).]

Thanks to all who responded. I think I'll make the trip back to the fly shop where I bought the tube and pick up the mini UV lamp thats made to cure the stuff. I plan on using the stuff on copper johns and to cover some wingcases on other nymphs. Thanks again to everyone for helping me out.

I would get the light. I tried to use the UV wader patch in the winter time and the light was too low to cure it out. It works fine on a sunny day in the summer though.

------------------
    Ron M

+ Reply to Thread