+ Reply to Thread

Thread: C&F bobbin

Default C&F bobbin

Any experience with the C&F bobbin? Is it worth the price? Any suggestions of favorites? Thanks and best regards.

It is pricey, but it works extremely well. It is my favorite bobbin. Very smooth and easy to hold. Don't lose the threader! Regular threaders don't work with this bobbin.

Thank you, Leighs522.

Corcut,

I have no experience with the C&F bobbin, but I would recommend the Norlander Company automatic bobbin. It does a terrific job in controlling slack thread and the price is very reasonable. I have several along with extra spools loaded with various color and size threads. Here is a link to the website: [url=http://www.nor-vise.com/products/productpages/autobobbin.html:a4dd5]http://www.nor-vise.com/products/productpages/autobobbin.html[/url:a4dd5]
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I was planning to stay out of this as bobbins are like fly rods. One persons treasure is anothers trash.

Since it's already been brought up, my wife and I are both fans of the Norlander Bobbin. There is a small learning curve with this bobbin, but it sure has cut down on my tying time.

Only drawback to the bobbin is loading the spools that work with the bobbin. With a cordless drill I can load all my bobbins (15) in about as long as it takes to watch the evening news and still drink a double latte.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

corcut,,, do you have a link to a site showing it?

Here's one. [url=http://www.worleybuggerflyco.com/flyboxes/C_&_F_Fly_Tying_Tools.htm:d6c7a]http://www.worleybuggerflyco.com/flyboxes/C_&_F_Fly_Tying_Tools.htm[/url:d6c7a]

Thanks OF, best to have pictures when discussing these things.

How "hefty" is this bobbin. I have seen it advertised and there is a midge size as well as the standard size. If you google for scientific anglers you will be able to get to the appropriate page on the 3M Web site. Go to tools.

I ask the question about "heft" because I like my bobbins to keep the thread tight while hanging. My griffith bobbins are too light and the S&H bobbins are just right. I can't tell about the C&F bobbins from the pictures.

Thanks.

------------------
    Peter F
    www.fishingwithflies.com
    pfrailey@hotmail.com

Pretty hefty, in my opinion. It is another feature I really like. Clearly heavier than most of the wire-type bobbins, but lighter than the Nor bobbin or Ekich. As noted above, I think it is a great bobbin. Is it worth the price? Each person will have to answer that on their own. Great flies are tied on a Thompson A and those old red plastic bobbins. Heck, I used to watch Walt and Winnie Dette tie with no bobbins and vises that most of us would reject as too crude. Hard to argue with their results. But then, I need all the help I can get, and I still will never be close to as good as they were. So, I use the C & F bobbin often.

+ Reply to Thread