Hi Dave,

You already have several really great answers. I'll just add a couple of thoughts that might help.

When spinning hair it is important to have the right hair for the job. Typically hair located on the animal along the back bone, shoulder, and rump is best used for wings/tails. The hair from the rib area and belly is better for spinning. Most of the time the wing/tail hair is dark gray in color while the spinning hair is light gray. Pages 60 & 61 of the latest issue of Fly Tyer magazine has a couple of illustrations that may help.

Sometimes spun hair isn't distributed evenly around the hook. One way to correct that problem is to flair a small clump of hair in the place on the hook that is a bit sparse. You can also form the heads by flaring the hair on the hook - one clump on the bottom and the next on the top. Some tiers find that method easier.

I agree with a couple of the other folks who posted here. I like to half-hitch and place a drop of head cement to further anchor the hair in place. It help keep the heads from moving around on the hook. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:ffd32]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:ffd32]