+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beadsheads

Default Beadsheads

Is it just me, or is finding bead sizes and hook sizes and shapes that are compatible a little harder than you would think?

There seem to be subtle differences in the hook shapes that make getting a proper fit with a bead pretty fussy. My Dai Riki 060 nymph hooks seem to have a kind of sharp turn behind the barb that won't let what looks to me the right size bead pass around it. A Mustad 9761 (the next size bigger!)on the other hand will let the same bead pass easily.

Or maybe it's the way the beads are drilled out.

Is this just a trial and error thing or are there some guidelines that would help?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Glenn

Glenn,

There are just too many different hooks, not to mention thousands of types of beads.

Every time someone writes an article/book that claims to show which bead/sizes fit which hook/sizes, someone always has a combination that isn't in the literature.

So, trial and error is often the best way to go.

Keeping lots of beads on hand is the best way to deal with this, they are cheap, and you can always find one that will fit any hook.

I do find that smashing the barb on every hook prior to trying to apply the bead seems to make the selection process shorter.

Also, I do often need to slightly spring open the hook bend to get some beads in place. This lets me use a bit smalle bead, which is often desirable, rather than finding a larger one that slides on easily. I use the vise for this, it's there and it's quick, but a pair of pliers will do as well.

Can't do without beads. Metal beads, rock beads, glass bead. Beads in every size, material, and color. Beads, beads, beads.... Lots of beads=lots of fish.

Good luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I agree with Buddy. With all the different types of hooks-curved nymph, straight wire, limerick bend etc.. etc., it is difficult to have an exact formula. My "general" rule is an 1/8 bead works well with a size 10-14, sometimes 16 hook. A 5/32 works well on a 6-10 hook and a size 3/32 works well for a 16-18 hook. I generally don't go much bigger or smaller than that. Quite often you may have to pinch the barb or slightly bend the hook to get the bead on. Hope this helps.

These might help, I'm sure there will be A US stockist somewhere for you.
    [url=http://www.taimen.com/mt/product_info.php?products_id=2124&osCsid=c7a8ff080 c67540814eca3363bdbf37c&:8ca1f]http://www.taimen.com/mt/product_info.php?products_id=2124&osCsid=c7a8ff080 c67540814eca3363bdbf37c&[/url:8ca1f]

------------------
    Born to fish, forced to work.

You can tie the fly without the bead, then put the bead of your choice on the line itself just before tying on the fly. That lets you change the color, weight, size, etc of the bead without having to have umpty-seven different flies on hand.

I didn't come up with that approach but I have used it successfully. I've even used it to help a beadhead fly get down faster by putting a bigger bead on the tippet before tying on the beadhead fly...the bluegill didn't seem to mind at all.

+ Reply to Thread