+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ekich Bobbin

1. Default Ekich Bobbin

Here's a question for those of you that use the Ekich bobbin. Which tube type is better and why? I'm thinking of getting one but not sure which type to get. I tie mostly with finer threads.
    Thanks.

I would ask Faruk Ekich. He likes stainless better for fine threads. I have two, both with ceramic, and can not complain about either of them.

Yup,,, give him a call. Great guy and will make your bobbin even more special. Mine is in a class by itself.

Hard to go wrong with ceramic. These are great tools, they really enhance rotary tying.

M. Ekitch produces a quality product and is a most interesting person to get to know.

------------------
    aka Cap'n Yid.
    Stev Lenon Trout Ski, 91B20 '68-'69
    When the dawn came up like thunder

Right. We will be spending a day on the water this fall with him. Honoured.

Sweet! Some day I'll fish with Mr. Ekich. Hopefully, some day relatively soon.

I haven't fished with Mr. Ekich but I was lucky enough to visit his bobbin operation. Demonstrating with a Uni-Trico 17/0 thread it was clear with a ceramic tube the friction build-up would essentially melt the thread and it would break. With the straight metal tube it wouldn't break.

So...depending on what size thread you use you may want to consider the metal tube. I have two Ekich bobbins and both have the ceramic inserts which are perfectly fine for 6/0 and 8/0 thread...however I think I'll be ordering my next bobbins from Mr. Ekich with just the straight metal tube.

You don't really realize how good the Ekich automatic bobbin is until you switch back to a conventional bobbin...it's so much more efficient with the automatic feature...especially with my Dyna-King rotary...

FYI - you won't meet a more pleasant man who truly is passionate about providing fellow fly fishers the best possible product conceivable.

[This message has been edited by wrx_canoe (edited 14 May 2006).]

You have a choice of long tube or short tube too. I would recommend the stainless short tube if you are using light threads and tying small flies.

9. Default

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and findings. I think I will get one of each and try them out.

10. Default

Go long tube, for obvious reasons.

+ Reply to Thread