+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paraloop hackle: why?

Default Paraloop hackle: why?

I've been a long-time fan of parachute dries (although my heart still belongs to the traditional style ties). I've read an occasional reference to the paraloop hackle. After receiving my "Orvis News", with the latest sure-fire pattern using this style, I have to ask... what advantage(s) for the paraloop hackled dry fly?

Chuck

The [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/011904fotw.html:25de6]Paintbrush Hackle Stacker[/url:25de6] (FOTW) uses the "Paraloop" as part of pattern's construction. Steps 5 through 9, show how the "Paraloop" is tied.

From what I understand from the article, about the "Paraloop" method, it is a method for securing the Parachute hackle more securely. ~Parnelli

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 06 May 2006).]

I saw that tutorial, Steve. I also know that there is a book out about paraloop-style flies. My initial experiments at the vise make me think it's not particularly difficult. I'm just curious if there's a good "raison d'etre" for it.

Chuck

A paraloop fly presents (in my opinion) a more realistic footprint than a parachute hackle. Rather than all of the hackle radiating out from a single point (the post) the hackle moves out from points all the way down the thorax more like a real mayfly. It makes more of an actual footprint rather than the sort of "pinwheel" footprint that you get from a parachute. And yes, I can testify firsthand to its effectiveness, at least on my local waters. A version of the paraloop is hands down my goto dry for mayflies. In my opinion the technique is especially effective for emergers. Here's my goto BWO paraloop emerger:

Jeremy

[This message has been edited by JeremyH (edited 08 May 2006).]

[This message has been edited by JeremyH (edited 08 May 2006).]

Thanks, Jeremy. I tied up a bunch of emergers yesterday, and some look just like yours. How do you use it for a dry fly- alone, or with a wing post?

Chuck

The BWO from the FOTW that Steve M. depicts I believe is truly a Paint Brush tie and defeats the concept of the Paraloop hackle idea. To me, at least, the thorax here is wound around the completed hackle forcing it to stand straight upward. I thought that a Paraloop required the hackle wound on the loop was to be tied down over the thorax allowing some hackle fibers to point off to the rear parallel to the hook shank. Am I missing something ?

Ray, here's a link that shows another way of doing things. More in the line of what you said:
    [url=http://www.flyflickers.com/ff/gomain.htm?flybox/flicks/paraloopwing.htm:24c81]http://www.flyflickers.com/ff/gomain.htm?flybox/flicks/paraloopwing.htm[/url:24c81]

+ Reply to Thread