Hi Folks,

I?ve got a question for this group but I would like preface it with a little introduction. All of the other boards have had discussions about high-end equipment verses low-end equipment. Some of these discussions have become down right heated as high-ender and low-ender have squared off on each other. Low-enders where particularly noticeable in the saltwater and warm-water group. There were a lot of people posting who were low-ender and militantly proud of that fact.

My question is this. Is there any such thing as a low-end fly tyer? Granted we all get our jollies by finding bargains or cheap, substitute material from Dollar Tree, Hobby Lobby and Michaels but I mean a genuine, low-end tyer like the warm-water guy who has used the same $69 rod for years, uses Stren for a leader, wet wades once the water is over 50 degrees and has no desire for new or better equipment.

The equivalent low-end flytyer would have shoe box with just enough material to tie his or her favorites; maybe 4-5 dry flies, 5-6 nymphs and a streamer or two. He or she ties regularly and furnishes at least 90% of their flies. Material is replaced only as it runs out. He or she uses the equivalent of an old Thompson vise and has no more than one bobbin and one pair scissors. Capes are all ?no namers? and the small supply of hooks are all Mustads or bait hooks purchased Walmart. This person regularly walks into the local fly shop and walks out without a bag of new flytying ?goodies.?

Do such fly tyers exist? I have never known any. Are you one? What do you think? 8T

------------------
You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.