+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schlappen vs. Strung Saddle Hackle

Default Schlappen vs. Strung Saddle Hackle

Could someone explain the difference between schlappen and strung saddle hackle? Where on the bird and usage would be helpful. I've got some of each in mostly bright colors (came in an ebay auction with some other stuff)and most of it looks died although some of it looks to be natural furnace, cream, etc. Thanks for any wisdom or pointers.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Here's a excerpt from a presentation Liz Conrad did a few years ago. It's in our Fly Fishing 101 section, What is Hackle?
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
    Perhaps many of you are not aware that all the feathers on an adult bird can be used for
    tying flies. Here is the cape or neck area that we have been discussing. The large feathers going from the humerous across the shoulder, under the cape are called spade hackle. These feathers are most often used for tails. Then you have the saddle hackle below the spade feathers. Under the saddle about ? to 1 inch wide, is an area of long wide webby feathers known as schlappen, these feathers are great wet fly materials used on streamers etc. (Mention most other saddles have had this group of feathers trimmed off. We at Conranch do not trim them but leave as a bonus for the tier.) Below the schlappen is of course the tail and these feathers can be used in many applications
    of tying. The wing feathers are commonly used for wings on wet or dry flies. The soft downy
    feathers located on the belly area, known by many names but known as 'marabou' by most tiers and make great wet flies. The breast feathers are located under the collarbone and down to the breastbone. Keep in mind that all of these feathers, except the cape and saddle, do not have dry fly quality. These feathers have the Velcro hooks, which hold water, allowing the fly to sink into the
    water.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Strung hackle comes from the cape,usually low grade necks.Schlappen is all web,real soft and usually used for collars on wet flies,salmon fly hackle,etc. As said above,the schlappen comes from the tail. CJ

CJ, no not from the tail, it's from the area above the tail and below the saddle area.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Below the schlappen is of course the tail
    As said above,the schlappen comes from the tail. CJ
    Huh?

Guys,
    Sorry for the mistake,should have read it first! I have a package of schlappen that reads "Tail Schlappen",and just assumed thats where it came from. CJ

[This message has been edited by catskilljohn (edited 14 May 2006).]

John? That's marketing talk. There is no such thing.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

All's well that end's well. Now we all know.

thanks for the info, folks. I think I get it. strung saddle for wet tails like deceivers, etc. schlappen for salmon hackle. or something like that.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Interesting question Diane as I was wondering the same thing the other night while tying some streamers and trying to decide which to use. My observsations were that schlappen feathers are webby from tip to to end, soft and appear to more likely to present a wavy action to the wet fly. Strung hackle is a bit more stiff on the ends for things like dry fly tail material but webby towards the base. However it is not as soft like the schlappen. There appears to be a lot of cross over in the applications of these feathers to certain patterns like streamers and buggers. I think it is more what appearance you are going for in terms of water action. The schlappen is more like a marabou action while strung hackle has a stiffer resistance to the water. To see this difference, tye a size 6 or 8 wooly bugger and wrap about 3/4 of the shank with a strung hackle of the appropriate color and then use a schlappen for the last 1/4 near the eye of the hook. Great buggers!

I decided on the schlappen for my streamer.

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

+ Reply to Thread