+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Who tied those flies?

Allan, RW here,

Certainly you tie more flies than Andy and me. But people should be aware of the fact that you take your vise (could be spelled vice) to bed with you...lol.

Cya in two weeks.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-

[This message has been edited by Royal Wulff (edited 31 March 2005).]
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

RW,

I most certainly do not!

However, I have to admit, it's getting to the point where I have to re-stuff my feather pillow.

Only 16 days till Rendezvous and 60 days until Fish-In.

Allan

RW & Allan:

To much information here that I don't want to even think about in my wildest dreams. RW, what did you think about Hughes book wet flies. I remember you were getting this book to read. This book is to Sylvestor Nemes opinionated for my liking and feel that Hughes is Nemes puppet. Pull the left string "only soft hackle wet flies work" Pule the Right string "Ray Bergmans Gaudy wet flies are out of style and really do not work much" I think not.

Andy B

P.S. I have not vented on this subject lately and feel a need to do so.

All right, Andy settle down, I wouldn't want to be forced to tell the story how two friends of mine hooked over 100 trout on the Big Horn River in a single day in August of 2002 fishing over a dozen different patterns; size #8, 2x long-shank, "gaudy," classic "Ray Bergman" style wet flies swung down-and-across on 3x tippets. It'll never work. HA! LOL! <G> Big time!
    Those trout loved the Neverwas, Rich Widow (in my DVD incidentally), the Wilderness, and Richardson. Flies with various combinations of orange, green, yellow, blue, married wings, etc. Yep, gaudy all right.
    My friends did more than take their share of fish, including my buddies best fish of the entire trip, a rainbow measured at 27".
    Put that in your dubbing loop and twist it!

That's not even the end of the story, but that's all for now.

[This message has been edited by Don Bastian (edited 31 March 2005).]

Andy, I mean Ray, RW here

I love your stiff, married quill wings for show flies....nothing better for that venue. But for actual fishing I like the wet flies with flank feathers from mallard and woody better than I do the quill. Softer and way more movement under water. And if you don't tie quill wings perfectly, and they are even a little off center, they act more like a rudder even to the point of twirling in the water. Hughes realized this and wrote about it in his book, as did several other writers. Nemes is a soft hackle guy and of course he prefers it to quill. Leisenring and Hidy did too, obviously. More movement in the water.

Bergman tied both for his plates and fished with both, but I just prefer the hackle fiber and flank feather patterns for winged wets. They are tougher too. I look at your flies and say..."Geezus, those are too pretty to fish with."

If I was tying flies just for show I would definitely go with the quill wings, but as they say "to each his own."

Oh, I did like Hughes book "Wet Flies" but there wasn't much in it you couldn't find elsewhere. I enjoyed his book "Trout from Small Streams" much better. You know I love fishing small streams the most.

By the way, I have the 52 edition of Bergman's "Trout"....had it for over 50 years. I was looking over the plates as compared to the recipes in the back and found a couple more errors. Weren't we talking about that at Danbury? We oughta compare notes on that at the Rendezvous.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-

[This message has been edited by Royal Wulff (edited 31 March 2005).]
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

Donnie, I think you left out how you spent your vacation between 3rd and 4th grade..and the second night of your honeymoon..Holy Camoly! We're gonna put across the table from Baltzy next weekend..

Lady, Although I can picture Ingie saying that (It doesn't matter) I would hate to be in ear blast if someone neglected to credit one of her or Paul's flies...and they are both top of the line tyers.

Donnie, Now that you have 'found' the computer you rival Jack Gartside who said "Photo Shop is the meaning of life." Your wife is going to lock up your computer if she sees your prolific prose.!!

Don and Andy,

Either of you ever read Jim Bashline's NIGHT FISHING FOR TROUT, or Larry Kollers CATCHING LARGER TROUT(?)?

Allan

Bashline's Night Fishing for trout.

Got a signed copy. Heard him speak in the fall of 1976 or 7 at Penn State University for the PA Council of TU Annual meetings. He followed Caucci & Nastasi who were on the program immediately before Jim. I'll never forget how Jim described, somewhat sarcastically, with confidence and humor, how browns take a fly at night.

Sort of splashing water on Caucci & Nastasi, (Hatches had just been released) -this was Bashline's friendly, good-natured sarcasm - I'll do my best to recreate his opening lines.

"When a big ol' brownie takes a fly at night, it ain't no pop (at this point Jim reached up in the air, flicked his finger and made a sound with his voice) and a bubble. Then he reared back and said with a big wide sweep of his arm, "It's a 'WHOOSH" and a lunge that will rip the rod outa' yer hand if ya' don't hang on!"

Got 'addicted" to night fishng for browns from about 1983 through 1988. Went many times seveal nights a week, watched moon phases, even stayed out til 3 or 4 AM when I had to work the next day. (Drove a delivery truck for a plumbing, heating electrical, industrial supply co, in & out of town or alternate days. Never stayed out when I had a road trip the next day).
    Boy can I tell you some stories...

Grizzly King and Silver Doctor, two of Bashline's favorite night flies.

Mantis:

Between 3rd & 4th grade, my summer vacation - I went to Gettysburg with my mom & grandmother, went fishing, played ball, went fishing, got chased, tackled, and kissed repeatedly by my two girlfriends at the time (both at once), rode my bike, went fishing, played ball, etc.

Please don't put me up against Baltzy. I can't compete with him. You can barely get a word in edgewise. That's why you think I'm quiet. I'm usually around him when you see me.

And, you're right about Ingie. If they didn't get proper tier's recognition for a published fly, not only would your ears be set afire, but you'd probably lose some hair too. Hell hath no fury like a woman fly tier scorned....

<G> <G> (-:

(Don't no one misinterpret my last remark. I ain't no MC unless I want to be). It's all in fun!

Don

Don,

I mentioned the Bashline book, not so much for his views about fishing at night, but for his comments on wet flies. Specifically, his comments about the Yellow Dun as tied by Mrs.Caroline Phillips and a few other patterns.

Regards.

Allan

+ Reply to Thread