+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suggest setup for a begginer

Default suggest setup for a begginer

So I want to start fly tying with low investment in terms of cost starting off. Can anyone suggest a good setup that would be perfect for me. What materials and instruments would I need.
    Thanks!

all I can say is invest in the highest quality tools you can afford..This will pay off in the long run....you'll do it later if not now..
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Hi rawfish,

The best advise I can offer and one that will answer most of your questions, at least for now is go to the main page, left of your screen and go to fly tying. there is information on beginning, set up, beginners fly tying, and so on. I started tying each fly, one by one in the beginners section, then tied each fly in the intermediate section, one by one and the experience doing that was well worth it. there are also current posts on obtaining cheap materials. Read those. It will help.

Steve (Rookie)
    Steve

I think the hardest thing to get around in terms of money is good dry fly hackle. I still use my bucktwentynine bobbin and my treedolla scissors and they are working fine. However I spent 40 on a griz neck.

There are those pre packed kits about. Depending on the shop you visit there will be different levels of quality and price in these kits. I'd suggest getting one of the tool kits that is in your price range and then get the materials for like 5 or 6 of the flies on the beginner tying section of this board-ones you want to make.
    Collection of materials for fly tying is a possible endeavor if done in one lump but it can become a big lump. Think about what you want to tie first; make your purchases around those patterns, and add to your collection as needed. You may need big saltwater streamers more than you will need little size 99 midges. Don't get everything on the planet right off the bat.
    Hope that made sense,
    I'm mostly trying to dissuade you from becoming addicted as such a fast rate. It'll happen anyway but now I can say I tried.

------------------
    There is a fine line between fly fishing and standing in a river waving a stick, and YOU SIR have crossed that line!
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

rawfish;
    Sissors $5.00
    Hackle pliers $2.10
    Bobbin $3.95
    Whip Finisher $4.75
    Hair Stacker $5.25
    Vice $22.00 You can always upgrade later.
    Bodkin, make one out of a pc. 1/4" dowel and a large needle.
    These are Hook and Hackle's 2006 prices. Then take 20% off.
    Throw in a 100 pack Mustad 94840 hooks $8.40 and a sampler pack of Uni 8/0 $11.00
    You can find them in the Sponsors Section here.
    I saw your other post about materials and I have some I'll share. Shoot me an email with your mailing address.
    Rookie is correct.

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

[This message has been edited by Jack Hise (edited 16 April 2006).]

Check out Al Campbell's beginning tying section here at FAOL!

Happy Trails!
    Ronn
    Happy Trails!
    Ronn

http://ronnlucassr.com/

Al's list is great.

e-mail me if you need a vise. I have a Thompson with a lot of years left on it that was given to me under very similar circumstnces by a very nice guy who posts here and I would be happy to pass it along. (I also hope he'll be happy to hear I am passing his favor on to another.) It is a fine vise, but I eventually moved on to a rotary.

Dr. Slick has a great collection of tools in a single package. Yeah, you can get cheaper tools, but this is a very high quality set of tools and a great value for the price. And it comes packed in a nice fly box as a bonus.

Google Dr. Slick and you'll find it. You can find it at Cabela's for $45 if your local shop doesn't carry it.

Once you have the vise and tools, just buy the materials for the flies you use and will tie. Go at that gradually as it can really add up if you get addicted!

[This message has been edited by oldfrat (edited 18 April 2006).]

[This message has been edited by oldfrat (edited 18 April 2006).]

If you stay with this part of the FF Sport (tying), you will eventually upgrade your tools as you go along. The advice above is pretty solid. Al Campbell's articles will point you right. It has been said here many times before, but invest in good quality tying materials. Buy the best you can afford. I found out the hard way that cheap materials can sometimes be just that - especially hackle. Buy good!
    Bob
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

Yo, rawfish! Any interest? If not another has shown some.

Denny Conrad has split dry fly hackle capes. These are great for the beginning fly dresser. The capes are #2 grade, but all three of his grades hackle have the same high quality. The only difference, is the amount of usable hackle on the cape.

Conranch Hackle, on the Sponsors Page.

+ Reply to Thread