+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beaver fur

Default Beaver fur

We have come into possession of a tanned beaver pelt that was too damaged to be used by a furrier. Of all the hairs and furs used in our craft I have rarely seen beaver called for. Considering how nice the material seems and the assumed availability of the material from old coats, why is it not called for more often?

Ray,

Because people don't know how good it is, how easily it is to obtain, how inexpensive it is, how many colors it comes in, and how easy it is to use.

Allan

Because people don't know how good it is, how easily it is to obtain, how inexpensive it is, how many colors it comes in, and how easy it is to use.
    That's why I don't use it. It's cheap and easy :0
    Really though try it on some small jigs or mix some dubbing. But keep it a secret, we don't want to create a need for the critters damming up our streams.

I have just received a baby beaver skin, and also a large piece of adult beaver from an american cousin...

I am looking forward to experimenting making dry fly wings with it. Also blending it to make a nice dubbing.

I will have plenty over to make a Davy Crocket hat!!
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

I use Beaver on 90 percent of my dry flies and have for many years. I believe it is much beter than the newer dubbings they have come out with. It is shorter in fiber length and will come of the thread if you get to much on. Can't do that with synthetics. It will also do very small flies very easy. I bleach and dye it the colors I need and have a life time supply of it. Good Stuff for sure. Ron

Welcome back, Ron!!!

Another "experienced" post.

Ron, good to see you back. I was wondering where you went.

Jeremy.

Ditto on the beaver! I've used it for years as my go-to medium to light brown dubbing since I have a bunch, given to me by a furrier years ago.

Also on my short list of brown dubbing is raccoon.

You seem to be implying that your beaver is a short fur.

The skins I have have long (1" +) fur... is this a winter coat?
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

Thanks for the Hi you guy's. Been a little under the weather with some medical problems but I am OK.

mickporter- I didn't mean to say that Beaver fur was short it is so fine the it breaks easy or can be cut up without it showing.
    On real small flies touch dubbing works great with Beaver fur. Just wax your thread and touch the fur to it and enough will stick to give you a good body. After touching the fur spin it on with your fingers and you will have the finest dubbed body you can get. Ron

[This message has been edited by RonMT (edited 07 April 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread