+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Rod Choice

Default Fly Rod Choice

Dear folks,

Do you believe that a beginner can learn fly casting best by starting with 9 feet, 5 or 6 weight system? Is there anyone who started with lighter fly tackle? Did you have no problem of learning basics of fly casting with light tackle? I appreciate your comments.

adso4,

Boy this should get you lots of opinions.
    I think that is a very good place to start. If the beginner is a kid, then some would suggest an 8' rod.

I am starting a new step grandchild (age 9)with an 8' Albright 5-6, with a double taper 6. This rod would be described as a little slow, the DT 6 should give him a lot of "feel". The rod is not overloaded with a DT6, but is about as heavy as the rod can handle. This outfit was recommended by Charles Reading who has given many many beginner lessons, me included many years ago.

Some would discredit this thought, but I also believe the outfit should be balanced. The reel should the right size(weight) for the rod.

Hope this helps.

baldmidge

If you already have a lighter weight outfit or that's what you ultimately want to fish with you'll be fine with it as a starting point.

My first fly rod was a one piece custom made 5 foot, 4 weight graphite rod in the days when short rods were all the rage. I worked on the basics in the backyard then took it to the local lake and armed with small dries and poppers I got the hang of things with the help of some very cooperative "sunnies". I fished that rod alone for years until I finally bought something "better".

Long rods do many things better but in the beginning; you will have so many things to learn that you won't realize it. If you enjoy fly fishing you'll end up with a closet full of rods anyway, so don't worry about that first rod.

Fly-casting takes a lifetime to master but don't be intimidated by all the advice and suggestions; study the mechanics of the cast and apply it to the equipment you choose.

You'll be fine.

[url=http://www.byrdultrafly.com/:b9e33]http://www.byrdultrafly.com/[/url:b9e33]

When I started most of my FF opportunites were(are) on small streams and creeks so I was leaning towards a small rod. I did a great deal of research, knew it would be a bit more difficult but I settled on a 6'6' 4w. Once I got my technique down I found it quite easy to move to my 8'6' 5w and 9' 6w.
    I likened it to learning to play guitar many years ago. I started with an acoustic and once I got some finger strength and a little technique I couldn't believe how much easier it was the first time I played an electric. To this day I still warm
    up on my acoustics and my weapon of choice is
    still the 6'6'4w...but to each his own.

Brookid
    thirdyearflyfisher.com

Hi Adso: I'd lean toward the shorter end of the spectrum as well (i.e. not a 9wt to start with). I've found that adults almost always end up enjoying an 8 to 8' 6" rod more quickly than a 9' when starting out. I'd personally go lighter rather than heavier...i.e. a 5 instead of a 6, or if the fishing in your area suggests it, a 4 instead of a 5. And, seeing as how I seem to be in an "agreeing" mood today I'll add my voice to those above and suggest something more moderate to moderate-fast in action as opposed to a super fast launcher. It really helps get the "feel" of casting and develops the fundamentals of the stroke better, IMO.

Just my $.02!

John

G&L FlyCraft
    Art. Science. Sport. Welcome to the convergence.
    [url=http://www.gandflycraft.com:83c02]www.gandflycraft.com[/url:83c02]

So far some good advice. I will add a little of what I think works. Stay away from fast action rods; they will be frustrating to a new caster. As for size and weight, stick with 8 to 9? rods. The type of fishing you expect to do will dictate the weight. For example if you plan on fishing trout streams then go with a 4wt. It?s a good all around wt. The best advise from there is to practice, practice, practice and then practice some more. The more time you spend throwing line the better you will become. The rod and wt are not as important as the practice. Good luck!!
    Eric.

hmmm, I bought a really cheap six weight from Walmart (waste of money),cast it a few times and got rid of it because it seemed to be holding me back. I bought a FlyLogic 8/9 wt and a Cabelas Three Forks 3wt. I learned to cast with these two rods. Since then I have bought more rods, fiberglass and graphite in various weights. I believe that my casting style is more important than which rod I am using. Two points - 1. I knew I wanted to fly fish so I was going to learn no matter what, so which weight of rod was almost immaterial. 2. If I was to begin anew it would be with a 5 wt. This seems to be the rod with which I am the most comfortable a year later. This is the most utilitarian, cover-many-bases rod in my opinion. Maybe I learned the hard way, maybe not. I might do it differently next time, but I learned to fly cast and that is all that matters. So, I guess that attitude and desire are as important as which rod to use. But, the 5 wt just might make things a bit easier.

I think a 9' 5/6wt set-up is a prefect for a beginner to learn on. In my Casting Clinic all we use are 9' 5wts and 6wts.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

I had the same dilemma when I first started out. I started with the 8'6" 5wt like 99% of all books/websites/people say beginners should start with. Basically, although the 5wt was fairly inexpensive, it was a waste. The rod was too heavy in hand, it was too heavy for the fish I was after, and after about a week of fishing with it I decided it was not the rod for me. I had just switched from ultralight spin fishing, so the 5wt was like using a crane to fish for 1/4 lb fish - ridiculous.

Don't go with what most people tell you. If you fully intend to light line fish for smaller fish, I would recommend starting out no heavier than with a 3wt. The 3wt still has a lot of backbone for fighting fish, but it will be light enough in hand that it won't wear you out after half a day of fishing. As soon as I made the switch to my 3wts, I was much happier with my fishing. The only problem is that I keep finding myself going lighter.

If you need more convincing, go to [url=http://www.byrdultrafly.com:70ed2]http://www.byrdultrafly.com[/url:70ed2] for more info. He'll tell you about the same thing.

Jake

[This message has been edited by BlueWingedOlive (edited 09 February 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread