+ Reply to Thread

Thread: painting eyes

Default painting eyes

Well today i was tying some clousers for the very first time. as i went to paint the eyes on, i picked up the paint, and spilt it every where, of course, the paint stuck to everything, and im still washing it off. but on the good side, i got them done, and the dont look to bad at all. next time i will be more careful.

fishy,
    I've done that with a bottle of cement (twice), what a mess.

Must be one of the many Murphey's Laws of fly tying that you'll get a greater amount of paint on your surroundings than on the fly.

Another is that the superglue will bond instantly to your skin, but take quite a while to stick to your chosen materials. And, at the end of the drying period, at least one of those materials is most likely stuck to your finger as well.

I prepaint the eyes using red and black fingernail polish. I never do it all in one day. It takes at least four: (1)cover all with black; (2) paint on red; (3) paint on black pupils; (4) cover with clear. I then have a supply of eyes ready if I want to tie some clousers.

I am always paranoid of spilling. I use at least three layers of newspaper on the table. I must have dumped my entire contents of adreneline into my bloodstream when the boys said, "Let us help".

Diane

Diane...
    "I am always paranoid of spilling. I use at least three layers of newspaper on the table. I must have dumped my entire contents of adreneline into my bloodstream when the boys said, "Let us help". "

I like that [G].

Might I suggest you try the acrylic paints...relatively small bottles inexpensive at the craft stores...multiple colors...can be applied with the butt end of drills [assortment for $1 at the $1 store]....they dry fast enough to do those steps in less than one day.....I got this technique here from the folks...
    then I finish with some Sally Hanson "Super Shine"

I definitely like the black paint better than fingernail polish...much deeper color...

well, i was also cautious with the whole experience, i layed down 5 layers of paper towles, and the paint still went through. i was useing model paint, thats all i had at the time, and it stained pretty bad. im a little upset, but its starting to come out

Try using the powder coat you can buy at Bass Pro and the like for lead jigs. It is a powder paint. I use an alcohol lamp and an old pair of tweezers then holding the eyes with the tweezers, hold them in the flame for about 5 seconds then push them into the powder (red) pull them out ASAP and their done. If you want a black dot in the center use the head of a nail dipped in testers model paint to put a dot in the center. Different size nails different size pupils.

I use this for lead, brass, and bead chain eyes for closers. I'll sit down and do several dozen then go tie.

Dan

+ Reply to Thread