+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will this work?

Default Will this work?

I was tying a caddis pattern today and the wing which Im using turkey tail fibers for, is continaully coming apart, making it look unappeasing. I put scotch tape on the top side of the wing, which made it very durable, and hold together extremely well. Has anyone tried this, does it work well in the water? Also I can't find this fly anywhere on the net, can anyone tell me what it might be?

Body: flat gold tinsel, ribbed with brown or ginger hackle

wing: turkey tail fibers

thorax: brown or ginger hackles

thread: brown 6/0

Yes it does work. Here is an excellent caddis, with the tape wing: [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/081202fotw.html:3626f]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/081202fotw.html[/url:3626f]

Have fun!

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Another good idea is to use laquer spray on one side of the feathers. It binds the fibers together and I think is waterproof. I use it for some applications with wing feathers, but can't see why it wouldn't work for tail feathers too.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

Another method is to glue your feathers, using PVC pipe glue, to a stretched nylon stocking. This method works extremely well and you can make literally dozens of wings in no time at all.

Warren

I think there is a tape that is more water-proof than Scotch, but don't know it's name.

I also use PVC pipe cement, but what I do is use a piece of plate glass. I swab a daub of cement on the glass, lay the feather on it, and then swab it again with the cement. It's a pretty fumy business so do somewhere (outside?) where the fumes won't get to you. It appear to dry in about 15 minutes, but I let it go overnight. Then the feathers don't have nearly as much tendency to curl. Once they are dry you just peel them off the glass and put them to use. Here's an example of where I use this method [url=http://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/Fly_Tying/mikesHopper2/mikeTuoHopper.html:ffded]http://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/Fly_Tying/mikesHopper2/mikeTuoHopper.html[/url:ffded]

Mike

Hi,
    I've been tying up "Lace moths". The wing is mallard breast feather. To make it "solid", you just coat the concave side with clear head cement. Once it dries, you snip out a section at the stem, shape the wing, and tie it in. I've not tried one yet as I'm tying them up for a club challange fly. Last time I was out, however, what plops on the water right beside me but one of the naturals! Looked just like the ones I had tied up, ... sitting back there, ... at home, ... in a box ..., no where near me.

(the pattern is size 14 dry fly hook, dubbed hare's fur body, wings a "reinforced" bronze mallard breast feather cut and shaped to be "moth shaped", and brown dry fly hackle).

- Jeff

[This message has been edited by JeffHamm (edited 04 April 2006).]
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Yes you can affix 3M Magic Tape to the bottom of a soft hackle feather, and create a Caddis wing, where the tape does not peel off.

1. The feather is affixed to a piece of Scotch Tape. I did this by pulling long enough piece of tape off, and two short pieces. Laying the long piece on a cardboard, and affixing the ends so the long piece was taunt and sticky side up.
    2. I then pressed the tip of the feather to the tape, the holding my finger down on the tip of the feather, I stretched the feather until the stem was straight, and then affixed the other end.

3. Then gently pressed down along the whole length of the feather to assure contact between the tape and the feather.

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/tyingtips/part120.html:f7276]Tying Tip "Caddisfly", Click Here![/url:f7276]

~Parnelli

PS: If you are not willing to try using tape, you can use grey panty hose, held in a sewing ring. Just coat the panty hose, affix the feather, then coat the top surface of the feather, and coat the bottom side of the panty hose. Then cut out the feather, and follow the about shaping and trimming.

PPS:Reason for using 3M Magic Tape or the Grey Panty Hose. The underside of the Caddisfly wing, has a grey powder residue, the Magic Tape mimics this grey powder, as does the Panty Hose material

As for the seven different Caddisfly Patterns that cover almost all know Caddis, recently I posted the recipes elsewhere on the Bulletin Board in response to Waterfox request for other patterns for Elk Hair Caddis, even though the above photo, eliminated the ribbing, and replace it with a collar, for the dry fly.

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/016825.html:e3589]Elk Hair Caddis[/url:e3589]

~Parnelli

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 04 April 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread