+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tying thread breaks too easily

Default Tying thread breaks too easily

Is it possible that tying thread gets weak after time? I have some 8/0 that I havn't used in 2-3 years. I don't know if it is my imagination but it seems that it breaks with the slightest amount of tension on it. It is "Uni-thread" by the way.

I bought taperd mouth bobbins
    end of problem
    check for sharp edges

If the wax gets heavily coated with dust, I think it could weaken the thread. Pull off an entire layer to see if it gets better.

------------------
    Jude
    Late to bed,
    Early to Rise,
    Guide all day,
    Tie more flies!
    www.customflys.com

Sounds like defective bobin.
    Buy a new one.

------------------
    **MW**

Hi big brown,

I use Uni-Thread a lot and encounter this now and then even with a ceramic tube bobbin. I just pull a foot or so out and try it again. I've had some spools for at least 4 or 5 years since I just tie for myself. I've never seen an entire spool of that brand that just kept breaking, just a spot here and there.

Regards,

Mark

You could have a nick in your bobbin.

You could be not unwinding the twists in the thread from wrapping the thread around the hook. Each wraps, adds one complete twist in the thread. Twisting causes the thread to lose some of it elastic characteristics. Nylon material is more elastic than Polyester. Different construction methods of making thread effect the elasticity of the thread, as do the Glazing (coating of the finished thread).

Maybe you are using too much tension on the thread when you are tying, or using a thread that is not strong enough for the task, you are trying to complete.

If it is not the bobbin, then it maybe the choice of thread, or it's breaking strength. You may wish to read the Thesis I wrote on "Thread".

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/tyingtips/part211.html:5a888]Click Here, for "Thread" in the Tying Tips Section.[/url:5a888]

~Parnelli

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 28 March 2006).]

Please don't get me wrong. I am by no means knocking Uni-thread. It's all I have used for a long time and never had a problem until now. I will buy a different bobbin and see if that helps although the one I use now is ceramic. Hopefully that will help.
    Thanks

If you spool was exposed to the sun for a period of time, the thread could be ruined. I have experienced this with kevlar thread.

Are you nicking the hook point???

Blog Entries

I'm probably one of the least experience tyers on her but I can tell you, there can be a big difference in thread from spool to spool. I recently purchased three spools of metallic thread in gold, silver and copper. The silver and gold 'behaved' just as expected. When I loosed the copper from the 'keeper' about four feet of it flew off like line from a spinning reel that was spooled on backwards. As long as I 'straighten' it and wind it back on it's fine. When I get to the end we get to do it all over again. I assume it got twisted as it went on the spool.

Why's this stuff always happen to me?
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

+ Reply to Thread