+ Reply to Thread

Thread: looking for some vise advice.

Default looking for some vise advice.

I've only done a cursory search at this point, so if this info is readily available and I just missed it, I apologize.

Since my fly tying equipment got stolen when my house was burglarized last week, I'm looking to upgrade to a better vise than I had. My old one was just a cheapo kit that I paid around $20 for (vise and tools).

I'd like to go the rotary route, I think. I've read more than enough good things about the Danvise and that was probably going to be my choice. I got to wondering, though, if there were any other quality options within the same price range as the Danvise? I know there are lots of wonderful vises out there for a good chunk of change, but that's a good chunk of change I do not posess.

So is it Danvise for me, or should I check out some other brands?

~Matt

Check This:
    [url=http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/index.html:1bc06]Vice Review[/url:1bc06]
    All I can say is I have a Danvice and like it.

I have a Danvise and I also have a Regal "type" vise. The knock off vise has been used for about 4 1/2 years . The Danvise is relatively new to me but I love to tie on it. Al Beatty sells them and he's a great guy to deal with if you have anything go wrong with your Danvise.

I have a Danvice and I agree that once you get used to the 'feel' it's a very good vice. I can tie down to size 24 with one, the smallest hooks I have.

I would also suggest trying out a Griffin Spider. It costs about $70. It does not look strong enough to tie a large fly, but as with the Danvice, looks are decieveing! It will also tie down at least to size 24. The jaws are hardened steel adjusted with screws. I have a tendency to overtighten with the Danvice but not the Griffin. And it holds hooks just as secure. It is a true rotery vice and is made in America. No, it is not as smooth as a $300 vice and can't brew your coffee, but it does hold hooks! Well. Yes it does use an O-ring in the jaws that someday will break. Go to LOES and for $1.29 you can buy a lifetime supply!

The Spider has replaced the Danvise in my fly-tying tub-of-wonders. It's worth a look at least and doubles your choices!

Charlie

I also will put in a vote for the Griffin products, made in the USA and have a lifetime warranty.

I own an Oddesy and have tied with it for over 6 years. Very nice simple product. Holds all the hooks I need just fine, size 28 thruough size 4...

That griffin spider looks like a contender, too. I'll have to do some looking into them...

Thanks for the info.

+ Reply to Thread