+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ekitch Automatic bobbin

Default Ekitch Automatic bobbin

Finally broke down and spent the money for one. It arrived yesterday. After reading the product manual and tying several different types of fly using it, I realized I had made a serious mistake.

I should have bought two or three.

------------------
    aka Cap'n Yid.
    Stev Lenon Trout Ski, 91B20 '68-'69
    When the dawn came up like thunder

slenon, could you share what you like about it? how is tying with it different from a regular bobbin? how hard is it to switch threads?
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Switching threads is quick and simple. I am able to use all the different spool types I have.

The automatic tensioning is effective, precise, and using it has already become automatic. It prevents having to re-spool thread onto smaller spools for the Nor Vise system and prevents having to spend time rewinding the thread after using a bobbin rest for rotary tying.

Rotary tying is where it shines.

I imagine that my appreciation of its capabilities will increase with time and practice. But already I find it to be a light, well made, well-designed tool. Further, Mr. Ekitch the designer and source of the tool is an interesting person to deal with. In the purchase process I was pleased to have a source for facets of history that I did not understand well. I'm still merely a student but I appreciated being able to learn of recent history from someone who has an understanding of both the historical and modern realities.

I like tools that work well out of the box and I like people who can widen my understanding of the world.

------------------
    aka Cap'n Yid.

thanks, slenon. this was great information.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Mr. Ekich is a wonderful source of information, and has a very interesting background and great life stories. He has stories about braiding his own fly lines from horse hair. The guy actually has used single strand horse hair as tippet material. So after hearing that -- I had to give it a try. Sure enough, you can bring in a brookie using horsehair tippets.

Oh yes, I have two of his bobbins. Spool changes are easier than standard bobbins. The bobbin is just a advertised ... easy... no surprises. I purchased a Norlander bobbin last year, and I thought it was great. Then I looked through the latest Fly Tyer magazine, and saw the Ekich bobbin ad. I knew immediately how it was going to perform, kicked myself for purchasing the Norlander, and order the Ekich anyway. Sold the barely-used Norlander during the summer on EBay...

Do any of you have info regarding this bobbin type for saltwater tying? I am in the market for a couple of bobbins and am wondering of the Ekich bobbins are suitable for the kevlar threads and other heavier saltwater tying threads such as mono. I understand that the tubes in some bobbins will groove after using the heavier thread types and extra pressure. Someone has suggested purchasing bobbins with a ceramic tube.

I bought the ceramic insert salmon-sized bobbin. I would imagine that any GSP thread would work in it. Using those, there would be no need for the heavier denier threads or kevlar.

I've tied many saltwater flies using the clear mono threads, too. Those would be no problem.

But the final authority would be Mr. Ekitch. From our computerized conversations, I can tell you that he will answer any questions you have in a timely manner.

------------------
    aka Cap'n Yid.

I agree that the bobbin is incredibly smooth and well-made. I have 2 problems with it. At least on the trout sized bobbin with the ceramic insert, no standard bobbin threader will fit into the nozzle. As a result, I'm forced to slide a floss threader up the tube, which, given the design of the bobbin, ain't easy. As a result, I find changing threads a pain. My other beef is the asymmetic weight of the bobbin. I spin my bobbin a lot to flatten the thread. This bobbin does not spin as easily or rapidly to untwist the thread. I wish it were counterbalanced, which would make it heavier, but spin better.

I agree that the floss threader is less easy to use than the other threaders I'm used to using. I can live with that.

The lack of balance you refer to is not going to be a problem for me. Certainly, if it were to become problematic, it would be an easy matter to add some weight.

But as in all things, we each have preferences and likes/dislikes.

------------------
    aka Cap'n Yid.

I think we'll keep at least one Nor bobbin around till this spool of wire is gone. We do spool it and use it to tye some buggers and nymphs and stuff.
    From the pics of the "E" bobbin I've seen, I do not think this spool will fit.
    .....lee s.

+ Reply to Thread