I have to ask. I am such a rookie at fly tying. Still trying to tie a good plain old wooly worm. I see and hear about several different whip finishing tools. I have a Mattarelli only. I learned how to do it by hand. (doesn't work for me, thread keeps hanging up on my skin....it works....but it is not quick and consistent for me because of rough hands), then I learned how to do it with the Mattarelli. Then I set it aside and can't even remember how to do it with the Mattarelli. I would have to research and learn all over again. hmmmmm....guess I didn't need to say so much to explain why I am curious....I shoulda just ask the question. I read a book by a pretty famous fly tyer and he said he finishes his heads with "2" half hitches and head cement. Well, you are already wrapping the head with the bobbin at the end anyway.....you can put on as many wraps as you want with bobbin in hand, so why stop, pick up another tool (whip finisher) and then wrap a bunch more times, then remove tool? I can just do all the wraps I want with the bobbin, give it two quick half hitches, and head cement and done. It SOUNDS more efficient to me. So the question is, is there really a need for the Thompson and Mattarelli whip finishers? Should I be learning them...? Is there something here I don't know about that makes them better?

Gem