Thanks all for the info. Can't believe you would go to the trouble to sandpaper your hands to hand whip. Probably not all that bad but sounds .....rough. <grin> I learned to do it by hand.....but I would do it with the Mattarelli if I am going to whip finish. I have read where the Thompson was better for small flies. I didn't find it that hard to do the whip with the Matteralli. I could see where just after doing it a few times it would become a piece of cake. I have noticed all the guys around here....and I think most posts and books I have read.....those who do not like to use the head cement do indeed use the Matteralli. I think I will fire it up and get used to it. Perhaps I can get good enough to not have to use the head cement as well.
Thanks Again and thanks for your opinions. Your opinion I would think would be pretty much the only one that you would be the expert on. Thanks Duckster for the links. A lotta people don't go to the trouble to help others, take the time to type. They just read and absorb what they want. I appreciate those of you who make the effort to help others. Hat's off to all of you.

Gem